OPLab + SH-!01

Hi -

Firstly glad we have a forum to replace the old OhPeeWon.com - I was gutted when it was suddenly not there one morning.
I hope the old members turn up here and that this is as helpful and good natured as that was.

Okay - now onto my question…

I own an original SH-101 which I bought at the time and have never sold (thankfully despite having some hard times). I am keen to integrate it into my MIDI setup but of course it only has CV in. I’d never looked at the OPLab before and thus never understood what it was for. On further investigation it seems that it may be the answer to my problems.

Can anyone confirm that I could use the OPlab to interface my SH-101 to my MIDI setup?
One thing I would really like to be able to do is to sync the SH-101 sequencer with a drum machine (I think the Roland drum machines used to have some kind of clock pulse that I used to use to sync up a 606 and the SH-101).

Any hints/tips/recommendations would be most helpful. Or any other bits of kit that might do the job?

Thanks all
Cheers

Trash

you can use the oplab for this!

especially if the midi in is master you can slave your cv/gate gear in sync. but the oplab, in some situations is a total brainkiller because in the early days the manual wouldn’t tell you much about real scenes on your desktop.
…if you have found the right way it’s a dream to sync up stuff and maaaaaaaan…the Oplab is TIGHT! :slight_smile:

…or take a look at the doepfer USB/Midi/CV Interface.

http://www.thomann.de/de/doepfer_dark_link.htm

@JohnnyEgo - Thanks for the tips.

I’ve also found something called a

Kenton which seems like it might be cheaper than the OPLab…
If anyone can share any experience with one of those that would be helpful too.

Thanks again JohnnyEgo

So the OPLab will work fine. It has other features which makes it great in other places.

my hat is off to you for not selling! I understand why people sell gear, and that is too bad. I have tried to up hold a promise to myself never to sell any gear, cause it might come in handy. I know this is impossible for some and when I see people “needing to” it hurts!

I jones hard for a SH-101, good on you for keeping it around!

The Oplab CV works in V/Oct so you’d be good there. Is the SH-101 DIN Sync/Sync 24, or does it just take some kind of CV via another 1/4" (6.3mm) jack? I can’t seem to figure this out definitively. The 606 you mention is DIN 24.

> my hat is off to you for not selling!

> I jones hard for a SH-101, good on you for keeping it around!

Well I’m pleased I kept it (it was my first Synth and I sacrificed a lot of going out and decent meals to buy it back in my student days so it has a sentimental attachment as well.
However - cry over some of the kit I had to sell over the years in order to raise cash including:
  • Roland TR-606
  • Roland TR-303
  • Roland TR-707
  • Yamaha QY-20 (though I have since replaced it)
  • Almost bought a Roland TR-808 off a friend for £100 (I decided it was too expensive - I was still a student…)
In terms of syncing the SH-101 there are two methods:
1 - The CV/Gate combination which allows note control
2 - EXT CLK input which is used to trigger the Sequencer and Arpeggiator - this was the way I used to sync it up with the Roland drum machines I used to own.

By the way - maybe we should start a thread on hear called something like “Gear I wish I’d kept hold of”…
Ot maybe that would be too depressing :slight_smile:

Cheers
Trash

for the sh101 , i recommend you the kenton pro solo . beacouse its have Aux1 out to send clock from midi to your sh101 sequenser.

• Almost bought a Roland TR-808 off a friend for £100 (I decided it was too expensive - I was still a student...)

That made me chuckle! Not in a nasty way, more of a "face palm cause I've been there myself" sort of way!!!

I had to sell my Yamaha Fs1R 5 or 6 years back during hard times. It did fund stuff for my at the time unborn 1st child so can't quite say I regret it! But boy do I miss it. I only got about £275 after Ebay taxes too which makes it impossible for me to buy one again at the current £450+ asking prices!!!

I did a demo using the QuNexus keyboard.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SWM3knlS0zc
The Beatstep can also do CV to the SH-101. It has a MiDI din port but I have not tried hooking it up to the SH-101 yet using that port connected to another MIDI device. I know the CV triggers the SH-101 directly.

the dinsync/sync24 port is not a MIDI port @guiness2u1 despite being 5 pin DIN.

for the sh101 , i recommend you the kenton pro solo . beacouse its have Aux1 out to send clock from midi to your sh101 sequenser.

@quemadaconflash Yes, after doing some investigation that’s what I am tending towards. Thanks for the tip!

@J0n35y
> It did fund stuff for my at the time unborn 1st child so can’t quite say I regret it!
It sounds like the right choice to me :slight_smile: