Elektron analog four vs. Arturia microbrute

Been watching some fantastic videos on YouTube for both of these machines. Just wanted some input from anyone here on how these synths are in general. Was thinking of making a purchase this year but not sure what to buy. I’ve also had my eye on the MOOG Minitaur. Just looking for a sweet analog piece of gear. Any thoughts? Also concerned about how fun any if these might pair with OP1.

as a microbrute owner and someone who’s played around w/an a4 a good bit i would def go for the a4 if you can afford it. that being said i ended up w/the micro because it’s roughly 1/4 the price of the a4.

The A4 has twice the filters and oscillators on four times the tracks (voices), effects, and a far far more advanced sequencer. It can also use its four voices as a poly synth. It is much more expensive, and much less immediate than the microbrute. If you are new to analogue synthesis, you might find the a4 confusing and a bit intimidating. You really have to know your synthesis terminology to move around the pages and turn the appropriate knobs, whereas the microbrute has fewer functions each with a dedicated knob which would be better for learning synthesis or crafting sounds in a more immediate way.

Both machines can interface with cv gear.

One could argue that the microbrute would make a better companion for the OP-1 as it has only a mono output to match the mono input of the OP. There’s nothing wrong with recording the a4 directly to the OP-1, but you will lose the luscious stereo effects of the a4 when summing to mono on the OP.

Both are fine and capable machines.

I started out on a microbrute. I like it, but I haven’t got a lot of reference since I haven’t tried many other synths.

I quite like it’s layout, perfect for a beginner to learn the signal path and what everything does.

I got the microbrute essentially on a whim, and it is actually really great. Fun little synth - absolutely the best “bang for your buck” when it comes to an analog monosynth. That said, I also have a Moog Sub Phatty, and it is incomparable sound-wise. The microbrute is cool and quirky, gets nice and dirty, but can sound weak compared to the fat creaminess of the Moog. The Moog sound is undeniable. So you’re probably going to get a little more fun wild experimentation with the 'brute, but a Minitaur is going to sound way deeper and heavier. Haven’t actually had my hands on the A4, but from what I’ve seen and what I know about Elektron, it’s probably a badass thing to own if you can afford it.

I have both the A4 and the MicroBrute. I find the A4 is so much more versatile.

I got a microbrute just this week. I needed some analog/classic sounds for a job. It’s a wonderful bit of kit and I cannot recommend it highly enough for the reasons posted above. Excellent hands-on learning machine… No menus, just accessible knobs.

The analog 4 has mulitple voices and a spectacular sequencer. The Microbrute has one (extremely versatile) voice and a very limited sequencer (it’s a bit like the endless seq on OP1, with less functions and only 8 save slots). I think a microbrute/minitaur comparison is probably closer given the capabilities of the A4.

Depends on if you want a workstation/groovebox kind of thing or just a simple analog synth on which to learn the basics of analog synthesis and explore sounds by twisting knobs here and there.

I have a couple of workstations already so I got the Microbrute for improvising noise and various sounds, deliberately searching for happy accidents.

I have a Minitaur and it is one of my favorite synths Even though it has a Limited range of octaves. The sound is so fat and creamy with a great build quality. And you can make it go nasty by maxin the LFOs :wink:

I’ve tried the Brute but never blought it sins i already had a LOT of mono synths that sound great. But if I didnt i would Absolutely pick it up.

The A4 looks wonderful and sounds amazing but the price is too high for me. And it seems to have a pretty steep learning curve.

Just got a Minitaur. I know it’s hard to stay unbiased when you’re stoked on a new piece of kit, but it seems really great. There are definitely some limitations, I think a Brute has more possibilities. On the other hand, the Brute hasn’t really sparked interest with me, sound-wise. But that is just me, different strokes!

Incidentally, here’s a video I just recorded – the synth sounds are Analog Four and Minitaur. Sorry if it seems spammy, but the whole intent of this video was to demo a couple of sounds of the Minitaur, so it seems appropriate. If you have any questions concerning the Minitaur or A4, just fire away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPLwYPOQc58

Slight side question…

I would like to get something for making gentle techno / ambient, but preferably all in-device - no computer, same as is possible with the OP-1, but with a more ‘grid-based’ pattern - I’m not so great on the timing for the tape.

I was looking at the Analog 4 and the new Electribe as options.

Any thoughts?

I think both of those could serve you well… I think the choice between the two comes down to what you prefer:

A4: less tracks and polyphony, more tweakability sound-wise
New Electribe: More tracks and polyphony, less tweakability sound-wise, dedicated and ready drum tracks, more effects?

You could also consider the Monomachine, as it has 6 tracks and a bit more effects, albeit a slightly more dated sequencer compared to the A4.

given the brute is abotu 1/4 the price of the A4, how would it compare to just having one channel of A4?

I have the A4 and not the brute (but I want one) so I probably shouldn’t comment but it’s safe to presume the complexity of the A4 allows for a myriad of sound design options compared to the brute. I guess it’s unfair to make comparisons between the two because they are so massively different.
Other than some of the other more helpful comments above, a few things to keep in mind are that on an A4 you can store sounds, kits, patterns - chain patterns to create fully sequenced songs and work with performance controls and even record actions. These are all things that you cannot do on a Microbrute … even if you had 4 of them to make up the 4 tracks of the A4. It would be well worth grabbing a manual to see what you can decipher - better still, visit a store and just try one out. That’s what sold it for me…
If you are new to synthesis, the learning curve will be tough at first but very well worth the effort because it’s a really special piece of gear in every way.
I use it with my OP-1 (and kenton midi box). They compliment each other very well in their vast differences - in terms of sound and usability.
The Monomachine was mentioned here and I can also vouch for that… the Monomachine is incredible for too many reasons to list here (got one after the A4) but if you want that analog sound, the A4 is lush and the way to go.
A definite benefit of using a Microbrute is the interface. Real hands on and no menu diving… Elektron gear is great but until you master them, you might be frustrated by the workflow - a perfect reason to get your hands on one and try one out for a couple of hours before you decide?

What’s kind of amusing is the fact that a 'Brute, and quality FX boxes to match the A4, would cost about the same and you’d not have nearly as good a sequencer and only one voice lol… You’d have a lot more knobs, though.

Elektrons are expensive, yeah, but much like the OP-1 there is value there in what they are capable of.

I just bought an FX box for my Microbrute, lol. But the same box may also be used on other instruments…