Unfortunate Spill...

I was using my still-brand-new OP-1 in a cafe here, and someone just spilled a sugary drink all over it. I turned it off quickly and tried to dry it, but it’s still pretty harrowing. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know I can’t take it apart to clean it without invalidating my warranty, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend any kind of sprays/solvens/water? for making sure to prevent sticky keys/general electrical damage.

You can get bags full of I don’t know what for rescue of mobile phones that have had a swim. Might work for OP-1?

You could try putting it in a bag of uncooked rice - it should do the same.

I’ve had this problem with a cellphone before but I’m pretty sure the rice fixed only worked because I could take it apart. I’m only worried the internals.

Uuuughhhhhhhhhhh whyyy.

If you disassemble (liquid damage usually voids the warranty anyway), find any points of corrosion (often turns green on logic boards) and clean with alcohol wipes.I’ve done this on many Macs etc and it worked.

address the liquid by using packs of desiccant.

mind the sugar though, things will get sticky.
re uncooked rice - it’s usually covered in thin dust, you wouldn’t want that in your op1…
still a fair bet to open it and blow it with a hairdryer…

Caig deoxit. Find it and spray any parts that are sticky after letting it remain powered off for 24 hours.

I just powered it on (definitely wanted to make sure to keep it off for a while) and everything is operating normally, and the keys don’t feel compromised…fingers crossed that I’m in the clear! Thanks for the tips, guys. That was a pretty terrifying moment. I was in a car crash recently and (taking into consideration that no one was injured) it was almost MORE scary because the OP-1 isn’t insured! :stuck_out_tongue:

Wash in pure water. Dry. Win.

That sticky coffee crap is going to come back to haunt you in the form of beautiful green everything inside the OP-1.

I have disassembled my OP-1 completely before. including removing all keyboard-like keys. I will post pictures if you are ready to void the warranty or if it has run out or they do not cover such damages.

there are a total of 3 boards inside, and you most likely just need to carefully pry off the individual keys and clean the hinging mechanisms. THEY ARE PLASTIC and METAL, just like most laptop computer keyboards.

Clean those, and you should be back in OP land. Hopefully no liquid damage.
Wash in pure water. Dry. Win.

That sticky coffee crap is going to come back to haunt you in the form of beautiful green everything inside the OP-1.

You’d have to disconnect the battery though to prevent damage. I have cleaned electronics with water before and got them working again, you just have to know what you can safely hit with water.