Korg Gadget Users?

Anyone on here using Korg Gadget?

Can you import audio onto new tracks?

I’m hoping that you can build up a song with synths and drums then have an audio track where I could load in a long sample/track (field recording for ambience).

Or can you just use the samplers to load in external one-shots?

Will I need to do something like export to a ipad DAW then import my field recording audio to a track?

---------

My ipad is a 1st gen that wont support Gadget hence why asking. If It’ll do what I want then I’ll either steal the wifes ipad or invest in one purely for gadget.

I pretty much only use my ipad for gadget/loopy. Gadget is great! there is an IAP that would let you import audio. IOS offers a million ways to work with your audio Many are Free. You could even Master in Cubase or Auria. I prefer to Finish up in ableton but IOS is pretty ridiculously great! Gadget doesnt have a udio tracks. I wish it did. But you can fudge it.

dblpost

AKAIK there is no import audio option, you can put samples into the 2 IAP gadgets though.

I am not up on all ipad apps but I think Caustic might be able to do it, probably some other apps to, regardless Gadget is pretty good, you could even sync it with WIST running the SyncKontrol app on your 1st gen ipad, sync your Volca sample to that, then into your PO’s etc

In more than a few ways, I like gadget more than my OP-1. Together they are pretty cool, but Gadget can definitely stand on it’s own, IMO.

But to your question, the only way to import audio is to use one of the gadgets, with your best bet being one of IAP ones (Bilboa). I can’t say for sure if there is a limit on the length of the samples you can load into that gadget, but I do believe the longest pattern you can make is 16 bars (maybe it’s 32 or even 64 now…can’t remember). That would let you import your audio and play it back as a one shot sample, but it would retrigger every 16 bars.

Another option is to sequence in Gadget and copy the audio over into Garageband and then add in your audio track. Gadget is also Audiobus compatible as either an input or an output.

In case you haven’t already found it, here is a the link to the manual:

http://www.korguser.net/gadget/manual/studioguide/Gadget_SG_E1.pdf

I do hope they add audio tracks in a future update, though, so I can add some guitar to my projects. That would be extra icing on the already well-iced cake.

HOLY FUCK A MANUAL!!! THANKS!!!

edit- so much ICING> gadget is awesome
in my eyes, gadget is the best app for start to finish beat making.
i don't think there is a limit to how long your samples can be in the two IAP sample gadgets
you can do audio tracks this way. you can also set your patterns/scenes? to play "one shot" instead of looping. so when the scene loops, it won't keep retriggering.

I’m only a couple years late to the party, but Gadget and the nanoKEY Studio are awesome tools!
I just got them both and for a few hours I actually never even thought about powering on the OP-1.

Gadget with the nanoKEY Studio and the Line 6 SonicPort combine to form something very similar to the OP-1…not the same, but definitely similar in a few ways. The major difference I noticed is that the OP-1 allows for a more flexible and immediate workflow, whereas the Gadget has fewer workaround options (at least without using 3rd party apps). Might just be me, but Korg has always been among the most frustrating of the “close, but not quite there” manufacturers…they tend to release products that are almost perfect but have one or two large oversights/afterthoughts. In the case of Gadget I really wish they had a sampling interface that didn’t require a 3rd party app. Perhaps that’s something they’ll resolve if they ever allow for audio tracks on the iOS version.

Overall, if I wasn’t used to the OP-1 already (and didn’t love it like one of my children) then Gadget and the nanoKEY Studio would be my daily driver, especially if Korg allowed for audio tracks on iOS.

I’m a big Gadget fan too. I think it was confirmed somewhere that the upcoming update will add audio track gadgets to the iOS version too.

I'm a big Gadget fan too. I think it was confirmed somewhere that the upcoming update will add audio track gadgets to the iOS version too.

I just read that in the korg forums last night, makes me excited! Looks like at least one multi fx/amp modeling gadget too, called Rosario.
Now I’m thinking I’ll probably be running the OP-1 into Gadget quite often, definitely going to be a powerful combination with such a tiny footprint.

Almost too many options in Gadget for me, I get overwhelmed haha.

@ghostly606 have you tried Audulus? A bit on the expensive side but well worth the money in my opinion. Really nice for building your own virtual modules. The developer is working on full-blown integration with the Expert Sleepers ES8 so you can properly interface it with actual, physical Modular systems. It is a bit open ended though, so maybe still too many options.

@ghostly606 have you tried Audulus? A bit on the expensive side but well worth the money in my opinion. Really nice for building your own virtual modules. The developer is working on full-blown integration with the Expert Sleepers ES8 so you can properly interface it with actual, physical Modular systems. It is a bit open ended though, so maybe still too many options.

Yeah, tried Audulus, not overly keen on having to zoom right in to turn a knob. Really cool app though, I'm just a fussy bugger.

Almost too many options in Gadget for me, I get overwhelmed haha.

It sure isn’t as instantly gratifying as the OP-1 but I’ve gotten pretty comfortable with it fairly quickly.
I’m really hoping for NanoStudio 2 (Blip Interactive) to come out later this year, the first one is my favorite app for making full beats on iOS. Slick interface, easy sampling process, synths, fx, midi, IAA and Audiobus compatible…it’s a solid app for a very reasonable price!

Beatmaker was almost decent but the Intua team was/is HORRIBLE at supporting their apps.
GarageBand is clunky and cumbersome for me, I usually only use it to host AU synths like Phasemaker (Bram Bos is awesome, I loved making beats in the late 90’s with his Tuareg and Moonfish programs on Win98).

Gadget works well with the nanoKEY Studio controller, but there are still a few on-screen controls that aren’t mapped and they can be frustrating to deal with on a small screen. Once they add audio tracks though I think I’ll be using it more often than the OP-1.

Tell you what else I don’t like are the on screen keyboards, always defaulting to a fixed scale, ugh.

BeatMaker3 is coming out! But I’ve made soooo many good loops/sketches in BeatMaker2. I don’t have anything bad to say about it. It does everything.

But gadget has some of the best sounding vst synths around, and they’re so simple yet so open ended. Can’t wait for the plugin suite for Mac.

Audio tracks are coming (supposedly in late March) but not here yet. http://www.korg.com/uk/products/software/korg_gadget/for_ios.php

I freaking love Gadget. I use it more than any ‘proper’ DAW. I think once audio tracks are here OP-1 + Gadget is going to make up 99% of my workflow.

After having owned Gadget almost since the beginning, I’m finally getting into it. I think spending a year with the Machinedrum and Monomachine has helped me think better in terms of its loops and scenes and gadgets. And this weekend I finally realized that cloud-sharing between iPhone and iPad is already there (I thought this feature was only in the upcoming release) so now I really love it as the ‘tinker anywhere’ kind of program. I’m really looking forward to checking out the Mac edition.

dope!

sometimes i wish they would make some hardware out of these gadgets. they would be so cool!

^^ Pocket operator size like game and watch!