OP-1 Update 2016

Are we gonna be treated to an update ?

^id give it a couple months but yes 100%

i was hoping for a new update during NAMM :frowning:

August 2014, never forget.

yeah the august preset update, what happened to that?

dont they usually only announce an update at namm? ā€¦and then release it a few months later? dont worry yā€™all. we will all get something, just time to be a bit patient.

Ya itā€™s in the works. When I spoke to them at NAMM, they seemed like they were very overwhelmed with the POs and NAMM deadline. It sounded like they wanted to cram as much as they could into the little boards, but ultimately had to scrap things due to the time and the POs capacity.

They were seriously exhausted, exhausted from the jetlag, work, etc. Theyā€™re really a tiny firm, I bet half of the company (8 employees) were at NAMM, haha. The rest were confirming are online ordersā€¦

I really liked the somewhat akward interviews/demos at namm Iā€™ve seen in contrast to all the other companys who had guys just delivering sales pitches.

The new hardware is cool, and I will totally pick up all three but a update to the op-1 is needed to keep the thing up to date. If they want to continue selling it at the current price they will need to add some new features to compete with their new cheap but powerful synths.

I wonder if the po devices will get software updates?
The new hardware is cool, and I will totally pick up all three but a update to the op-1 is needed to keep the thing up to date. If they want to continue selling it at the current price they will need to add some new features to compete with their new cheap but powerful synths.

I wonder if the po devices will get software updates?

1: Okay - Iā€™ll bite. I see TE as being a little like Leica. The OP-1 is engineered like nothing else, and nothing else does what it does. Some things might be ā€˜betterā€™; I am sure in the hands of a skilled user a workstation synth, or a groovebox, can make better quality noises and so on. But in what way does the OP-1 need to be up to date? Weā€™re all going nuts over recreations of 30, almost 40 year old synths.

Would an OP-1 Mk 2 be nice? Absolutely. More processing power, more RAM, higher quality isolation between power management and audio circuitry. Bring it all on. But up to date? Thereā€™s nothing that makes it look outdated!

Their new synths will probably raise the profile of the OP-1. So many people I know are into music and production but they just donā€™t ā€˜getā€™ the OP-1 at all; the argument that you can load up an iPad with so much stuff for that moneyā€¦ but then a Ā£50 cheap hardware card with TEā€™s funky immediacy? Maybe then the OP-1 would begin to appeal to them.

2: PO devices may well have evolving firmware, but Iā€™m going to guess that the only way youā€™ll get to update it is via a send-in/return service to flash the chip via JTAG. Thatā€™s probably why itā€™s been so long in development - you canā€™t have a showstopper or even irritating bug that reaches the user, because they canā€™t just download a new firmware. The only way I can see that being wrong is if theyā€™ve written a bootloader interface to accept a modulated signal via the sync jack, played as audio - how we used to load data into our home computers. And hey, they could do the flipside of that and make it so we could save user patterns to the OP-1 or an audio device the same way :wink:

1. I agree, although would argue that some bugs need fixing.

For the price they are selling the PO devices I donā€™t expect any update, nor do I think they need them. The Korg kaossolator was a cheap device, thatā€™s tons of fun.

I have had the op-1 for a few years, and the updates are something I have learned to really look forward to. They find ways to keep making the little box more awesome. So to me the updates have been a ā€œfeatureā€ that is also unique to the OP-1. I canā€™t think of any other hardware that gives you entire new synth engines and sequencers with a software update.

Would you prefer to see an op-1 mk2 or more updates? Personally I would rather see more software than a new version of the hardware. If they released a big update I wouldnā€™t have a problem paying for it, considering the last time I gave TE money was a couple years ago and they have continued to give me updates and now new cheap deveices.

^ We already got confirmation from TE staff that POs canā€™t be upgraded by the usersā€¦

ive used mine every single day since i got it 6 months ago and have never once encountered a software or hardware issue. i bought it second hand, nothing special. im not bragging, but just throwing it out there that it may be a slim minority that consider certain things issues or potentially exacerbated in certain batches, but other than a few people on here, i think most think its damn near perfect, as i do. just putting that out there as a potential reason why TE may move on to other things before getting to an update. one will come and it will be neat im sure but just playing devils advocate a bit.

@punji that doesnt stop the op1 from getting some software to enhance the POā€™s operation.

I canā€™t wait for a new update.

The op-1 at present is purely amazing.

Each update is like Christmas again.

@thenordheimtrust Considering you have only had it for a few months, you have yet to experience how awesome a software update is. Just wait until they release another one and you will see why I am so eager to get a new update. The hardware is amazing, and each software update has made the hardware even better. The OP-1 is hands down the best and most used music creation device I have.

@punji but we did get confirmation that they are user hackable. I like that "feature." Considering we can't even open up the op-1 it's nice to see them put out a device with a jtag port. I can't wait to see what PO-hacks people come up with.

@thenordheimtrust Considering you have only had it for a few months, you have yet to experience how awesome a software update is. Just wait until they release another one and you will see why I am so eager to get a new update. The hardware is amazing, and each software update has made the hardware even better. The OP-1 is hands down the best and most used music creation device I have.

@punji but we did get confirmation that they are user hackable. I like that "feature." Considering we can't even open up the op-1 it's nice to see them put out a device with a jtag port. I can't wait to see what PO-hacks people come up with.

im not discounting how cool its going to be, im just countering some of the somewhat insane sounding rhetoric that its essentially a brick till they download the new os. I too am very excited and wish we had had it already but whatever! :slight_smile: soon enough!

Iā€™ve had the OP-1 for a little over a year now, with about 2 updates, and I STILL havenā€™t explored all the synths, effects, album mastering, etcā€¦There is truly a LOT of depth to this little titan, and honestly, I hope I never fully master this piece of kit. The little operator is a mystery in a box with many pathways to take, and itā€™s damn fun getting lost in it.

Of course there are plenty of bugs, but nothing I canā€™t work around :slight_smile:

I emailed TE some ideas/requests for the next update. Hope some
Of these make it! Feel free add to it and maybe we can turn it into a petition of some sort and get them
Implemented!

1. Bugs fixed:
    Loops and clicks in sampler and tape.
    NOISE ISSUE FIXED PLEASE re: Chatter between usb and audio out ground loop issue.
  2. New fx:
    -Vocoder with band select and input selection (line in/mic/radio)
    -Tape saturation/overdrive/wow and flutter
    -Amp and Leslie rotary speaker simulation with mic distance/angle
    -Deeper control for nitro (even true polyphonic mode), maybe use shift and encoder click to enhance functions.
  3. Sequencer saving and cross compatibility between sequencers. Maybe use the lift and drop functions for swapping patterns between sequences
  4. Classic style arpeggiator with a TE twist :wink:
  5. Develop the current synth engines more with shift functions and encoder click. (Like D synth)
  6. New synth engines influenced by:
  • Roland D-50 (linear arithmetic synth) - Prophet VS (vector synthesis)
  • PPG wave 3 (wavetable synthesis)
    ORā€¦
  1. Make the loops release work (loop release bug) so I can load Wavetables into the sampler (PPG love)
  2. Better LFOS all with selectable waveforms (or variable) with the ability to use more than one LFO at once, up to 4 would rock!
  3. Dedicated modulation ADSR as part of the LFO modulation sources (that would satisfy my need for Lfo waveforms)
  4. Multitimbral midi support.
  5. Tape effects (reverse and loop) all jump back to correct timing when the button is released like the tape stop effect
  6. Parameter locks like the pocket operators. Possibly a new sequencer or a shift function in current sequencers to do a secondary channel/track for effects and synth parameters.

Cheers,
A