OP1 MIDI Out to MIDI DIN In connector?

Hello everyone,

I’ve got a question I was hoping I could get an answer to/advice on: what is the easiest way to get MIDI out from the OP1 to a hardware synth with MIDI DIN connectors? I’m trying to send the MIDI from the OP1 sequencers to a Virus Polar. Would any of the following approaches work?

1. micro USB to USB Type A connector cable --> iConnect Mio MIDI interface --> Polar

2. micro USB to USB Type A adapter --> iConnect Mio MIDI interface --> Polar

3. through an iConnect MIDI 4+…? I don’t know how this would work since the iCM4+ seems to need a “host” and I’m trying to keep things as simple as possible (OP1, Polar, and iPad, where the iPad is only used to record the audio from the OP1 and Polar via an Apogee Duet).

Edit: upon further reading it seems like option 3 might work, but I would need a USB A to USB B connector adapter. Has anyone tried the iConnectMIDI with the Op1 and a hardware synth?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

you need something that acts as a USB MIDI Host in order to communicate between USB and Midi DIN.

(i think u might have it backwards, as the ICM 4+, HAS a usb midi host, something that the other ICM's besides the original one lack)

some of these devices are Kenton Usb Midi Host, Iconnectmidi OG, Iconnectmidi 4+, OPLAB. (they all have the rectangle usb port)

1 and 2 won't work because the MIO is not a host.

you can also work out a thing w/ an Ipad and the Camera connection kit too if you are inclined that way.

Thanks, @docshermsticks

I actually have an iConnectMIDI 2+ but the USB ports on it are USB Type B connectors, and the TE USB cable is a Type A at one end and micro USB at the other – that’s why I was wondering if anyone had tried using the TE cable with an adaptor, or a different cable entirely with the correct conenctors.

edit: ah – i see, the 4+ acts as a host, but not the 2+. UGH.

yea those sneaky bastards. u might wanna hunt for an original ICM. they pop up on ebay from time to time. similar form factor like the 2+ but has the host that the 2+ lacks.

i use the kenton one w/ great success, but doesn't give u all those routing options that the ICM does. its just DIN to USB and USB to DIN.

u could also just plug them all into your computer and route it that way, but who wants to use a computer? its 2015!

u could also just plug them all into your computer and route it that way, but who wants to use a computer? its 2015!

lol, that’s the point! I’m intending to use my iPad as my audio recorder, and run the Op1 into the Polar, and the Polar into the iPad. That’s it!

I don’t fancy shelling out the extra cash to get an iCM4+ just for the host thing. TE and them are BOTH sneaky bastards for limiting what their devices can do in order to sell other devices (OpLab and more expensive ICM4+) – RAWR!

yea those sneaky bastards. u might wanna hunt for an original ICM. they pop up on ebay from time to time. similar form factor like the 2+ but has the host that the 2+ lacks.

i use the kenton one w/ great success, but doesn't give u all those routing options that the ICM does. its just DIN to USB and USB to DIN.

The Kenton would actually be just fine for my purposes!

Your iPad would work as a USB host. Or a new iPhone 5S or later. You’ll still need a USB to MIDI and a hub though.

ICM4+, ICM(OG), OPLab, Kenton USB Host MIDI, iPad/iPhone with a HUB, or laptop. there are devices showing up all the time but this is the a never ending story…

thanks, everyone. I guess I’ll regroup and plot my next move… :S

jk – one last question. On the Kenton website it states in bold font (guess they’re serious) that the USB device must be class compliant. is the Op1 class compliant? (still learning it, so thanks for bearing with all of the questions).

yea op1 is class compliant. most devices nowadays are.

i think a general rule of thumb is "does it need special drivers that you have to install for your computer to recognize it?"

answer : no - class compliant. yes - not class compliant.

And thank God for that development.

“Oh, I reinstalled… Where’s my MidiMan drivers disc? @#$@@$@#%#$%!!!”

hahaha!

Your iPad would work as a USB *host*. Or a new iPhone 5S or later. You'll still need a USB to MIDI and a hub though.

ok, i’ll bite. what would this approach/connection look like?

Op1 --> USB hub --> iphone

then USB hub --> iConnect Mio (MIDI interface) --> Polar

?

That’s obnoxious, but less so than paying $140/$199 for a solution… I suppose.

Yes, that’s the plan. Pretty obnoxious, yes!

However, the iConnectMIDI4+ is the best way to go, hands down. Its a really swiss army USB/MIDI beast.

All of this is way too much clutter and points of failure I think, but at least we can connect it.
Yes, that's the plan. Pretty obnoxious, yes!

However, the iConnectMIDI4+ is the best way to go, hands down. Its a really swiss army USB/MIDI beast.

All of this is way too much clutter and points of failure I think, but at least we can connect it.
thanks, Sparky. and yes...but $199 smackaroonis...ouch! =\

i'll have to see if i can identify additional uses for it before i jump at that price!

I’ve got

1. OP1 --> USB hub --> iphone 5S

2. iConnectMIDI Mio --> USB hub

3. Profit?

…seems like I need a MIDI router app or something. @Sparky – do you have any specific experience with running something like this?

Ok – MIDI Bridge helped, but still not a very elegant solution. C’est la vie.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.