Deadmau5 Remix Contest

Initially I was excited about this competition - the first prize is the opportunity to get your remix released on Mau5trap record label.
http://play.beatport.com/contests/deadmau5-some-chords-dillon-francis-remix/

I’ve got a lot of respect for Deadmau5, he made it big with more mainstream type of EDM but is now sitting back enjoying life and making music that I guess is more true to his heart and having the advantage to be able to experiment a lot more. He’s a real music tech geek and into his Euroracks too.

So I got excited at the possibility of this competition. Started chopping up the stems to put into sampler/granular. to sequence stuff and had a very experimental kind of idea in my head that was quite ambient but then just built and built into an epic.

A couple of days since the competition was announced there are now 150 entries and the closing date is the end of january.

Pretty much all the entries sound the same and uninspired. By the time the competition closes there will be thousands no doubt.

Is there much point in spending a couple of days crafting something special only for it to be lost amongst EDM pish and never found?

What happens on those contests is that the list will be split amongst a bunch of “judges” who will separate the utterly shitty stuff from the rest. This goes on till it is a manageable amount of music. If your stuff is good, you should be fine. Only thing you might risk if a judge is one of those “skip” listener who bounces around the track for 5 seconds and than forms a judgment…

And there is always: If you don’t enjoy doing it, you shouldn’t.

my 2 cents

My concern is the “Voting” step that they list before the judging phase.
if that’s a public voting thing, then that kinda stinks, because at that point the only significant factor is whoever is most involved on social networks, and whoever plugs their remix in the most places.