OP-1 as a sound module

Curious, - I have the OP-1 midi’d up to my OT. I’d like to use the OP-1 as a sound module playing only the drums or only a synth. The problem is, every synth and drum kit plays at once. Is there a work around?

Thanks,
Adonis

What do you mean all at once?

When I play the OP-1 from an external keyboard, note C2, I hear all 8 presets and the drum presets.

I’m just looking to play/sequence the drums or just one of the synths

wow thats crazy.

as far as i know its only supposed to be able to play 1 synth or 1 drum at a time.

something aint right there homie

I’m totally crap at midi, so possibly I’ll be barking up the wrong tree, but I wonder if it’s a setting on the OT side (you mean Octatrack, right?). Do you have to set which midi channels notes get sent out on somewhere?

How is the OT hooked up to the OP?

if thats the case, then TE secretly added a whole bunch of midi functionality and didn't tell anyone.

i'm pretty sure the op1 is not multitimbral so u should only be able to trigger 1 synth or 1 drum at a time. just like normal operation.

sounds like a bug to me. maybe give it the ole reset and see if that fixes things up for u?

What firmware are you running?
I would kill for a multitimbral op-1 :slight_smile:

hmm… 16 midi channels and 2x8 sound slots… details, please!

I think it’s my midi router/splitter. When I trigger the OP-1 straight out of Ableton, it plays one synth or drum machine.

I use a midi splitter to route different channels to various devices. I’ll try to plug the midi cable straight into the Kenton and see if that solves my issue.

Thanks fellas!

if thats the case, then TE secretly added a whole bunch of midi functionality and didn't tell anyone.

i'm pretty sure the op1 is not multitimbral so u should only be able to trigger 1 synth or 1 drum at a time. just like normal operation.

sounds like a bug to me. maybe give it the ole reset and see if that fixes things up for u?

I think almost since day one people have wanted at least bi-timbality(???) like drums on MIDI1 and Synth on MIDI2. Would be super cool. Would be nuts if you could assign say the drums to MIDI channels 1-8 and Synth 9-16.

yea that would be so dope. thats basically how the new electribes work. each pad corresponds to its own midi channel. its dope w/ the midi.

yea that would be so dope. thats basically how the new electribes work. each pad corresponds to its own midi channel. its dope w/ the midi.

NOYCE!

Well it was my midi splitter. Maybe there’s something there for multi timbrality

Please let me know if you have successfully played OP-1 drum sounds this way. I can play synth sounds over midi like this but the moment I switch to drum mode (changing nothing else in my set up) the OP-1 seems to stop listening to midi - the midi reception lights stop flashing and the device is silent.

My set up is Beatstep Pro – midi — iConnectMidi4+ — (midi over usb) — OP-1

Note this does not look like a midi channel issue. I think the OP-1 shares one midi channel setting for both drum mode and synth mode anyway.

I can play the OP-1 synths from the Beatstep Pro synth sequencers and the Beatstep Pro drum sequencer, but I can’t play the OP-1 drums from either. The OP-1 just stops responding when I change to drum mode.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

1 Like

It will be to do with your pitch range I think. I have a feeling OP-1s pitch is the fist two octaves ,for drums, low down the key range. Shift your octaves about you are sending from Beatstep, search about. Give that a try.

^ drum only responds to midi note 37 thru whatever 37+24 is….61?

my bad its actually midi note 53 - 76.