Wavetables????

Hi, is it possible to load single cycle waveforms into the sampler engine to create a wavetable synth???

Cheers,
Adrien

It is not. You can, however, lay multiple layers of sound to tape, then lift and drop that into the synth sampler. You can achieve some pretty cool wavetable-esque sounds this way. The speed at which the waves scan will follow the pitch of the keyboard. You can also set up shorter loop segments and modulate the loop start or end point, or modulate the playback direction. It’s not going to be classic wavetable at all, but something fun and original in the same vain.

You can also capture single cycle waveforms from a longer sample based on loop points established in the sample engines.

Damn, that’s a shame! Seems like a huge over site by TE not to let the sample engine load single cycle waveform,s. Do you know why it doesn’t work?
Also you say you can take a sample down to a single cycle, so would it be possible to join wavetables in a daw and import a large sample an select just a singly cycle and scan through them? No ideal but it could be a work around???

You can use single cycles of a wave, but with restrictions. It won’t keep looping during the Release phase of the envelope, which pretty much kills it for anything other than bass/stabs for me. I’ve emailed TE about it, and was told they’d look into it.

you could make the waveform 6s long and load it to sampler to have better control over the envelope release

also in drum sampler you can store a waveform on each key, and then use the finger sequencer to select and play a waveform or a sequence of waveforms chromatically with the keyboard
you get a wonky wavetable mono synth with no adsr, but i find this synth is all about workarounds hence its charm

i would line up a bunch of different waveforms one after the other to make 1 longer synth sampler preset, set your sample start/end/loop points. then u could have the LFOs modulate thru them in different ways, could be a neat wavetable-esque synth right there.

^ brilliant!

@docshermsticks
Yeah that’s what I suggested before, seems like a cool workaround.
Will sound cool for sure!
I did email TE about the envelope and directed them to this topic. Here’s what they said:

“Thank you for the reference. Yes, this has been reported. It can still be used, especially with the Sketch and Endless sequencers, just not with the ADSR release part. We have a pretty cool solution for this but it’s a matter of time and resources. Thanks!”

So hopefully they will address this issue in the next update, and hopefully add a few more synth and fx additions!!! :slight_smile:

Great idea! Hoping they add something to the next update as well.

Instead of using stitching 6 seconds worth of a single cycle waveform on your computer, a quick solution would be to just play 6 seconds of the original waveform (from the sampler) while recording to tape, then lift / drop back into the sampler.

I played today around with the single cycle waveforms provided by inspektor gadjet … works perfect! i imported the wave chains and set loop point like docshermsticks mentioned

http://www.inspektorgadjet.com/video-tutorials/octatrack/
http://www.inspektorgadjet.com/?wpdmdl=1161

I played today around with the single cycle waveforms provided by inspektor gadjet … works perfect! i imported the wave chains and set loop point like docshermsticks mentioned

http://www.inspektorgadjet.com/video-tutorials/octatrack/
http://www.inspektorgadjet.com/?wpdmdl=1161

Tried this but really got nothing interesting with the effort involved. Even trying to scan through the start/end points with LFOs didn’t change the sound much. It seems the LFO could only modulate the points a little bit ahead/behind in the sample, and didn’t give good results.

Much more interesting to do this type of thing on a dedicated hardware sampler, like E-MU Ultra, ASR-10, or Yamaha a4000/a5000.

Cranking the amount on the LFO up should allow it to move one of the points of the sampler all the way around the waveform. If you only get a little bit of movement you might have to increase the amount (green knob). The general problem is that it’ll only effect one point (or all in case of random) so you won’t actually get that proper wavetable scanning sound. Even if you could move two points you’d still not get the real deal but end up with some weird phase/waveform modulation.