Ableton + OP1 (not even sure how to title this bc I'm not sure how to even define my query)

~yo

new op1 and ableton user here.

i’m not sure if what i’m trying to do is even possible in the way i’m trying to do it, hopefully one of you kind souls can point me in the right direction.

i downloaded the op1 ableton script and got that hooked up correctly. what i’d like to do is to be able to play the keyboard and have that record directly to ableton. i can see in the midi channel that the sound is coming through, but everytime i hit record and play it back it’s just silent.

what am i doing wrong?

any help would be super appreciated

record the audio out of the op-1, my dude.

@ludicrouSpeed said:
record the audio out of the op-1, my dude.

Yep. The OP-1 is not an audio interface, nor a USB-audio device.

Yea, you’re just recording the midi, not the audio. Hooking the Op-1 up via usb makes the Op-1 a controller (controls sounds in Ableton). You will need to get the audio from the Op-1 into your DAW (you’ll need an audio interface to do this as stated above). As far as I know this is the only way to get audio from the Op-1 into your DAW: Plug the audio out of the Op-1 to the audio in of an audio interface.

& of course you can transfer samples & whatever you have on your tape onto your computer via usb by dragging & dropping. So if you don’t have an audio interface, you don’t want one & you want audio from the Op-1 in your DAW, you’ll need to record something to tape or sample the synth sounds or whatever, then drag & drop the sounds into your DAW.

“of course you can transfer samples & whatever you have on your tape onto your computer via usb by dragging & dropping. So if you don’t have an audio interface, you don’t want one & you want audio from the Op-1 in your DAW, you’ll need to record something to tape or sample the synth sounds or whatever, then drag & drop the sounds into your DAW”.

This last method is what a lot of people do. Use Op-1 stand alone, as a sketch pad to Tape., then drag your tape files over to Ableton (via usb mode) for remixing.