Your recommendations for recording OP-Z performance in a mobile setting

I wish OP-Z could record the performance inside the machine. I’m hoping for a module for doing just that. But in the mean time what are your recommendations for a compact mobile recording solution with headphone monitoring?

I have an iPad pro, it would be great if I could use the OP-Z app and record and monitor at the same time but I don’t know if it’s even possible.

Separate mobile recorder is an option too, if it’s small and preferably under 200 eur/usd.

Thank you for your input!

Tascam DR-05 or Zoom H1n seem to be the cheapest options and meet your specs :wink:

don’t see why u wouldn’t be able to record and monitor and use the app w/ your iPad pro.
u prolly need an interface and the CCK adapter and a recording/daw type of app

I’ve been using the Behringer U-control interface and the apple Camera Connection Kit, running the op-z into Audioshare or AUM for recording on the iPhone and IPad.
The Behringer’s nice because it doesn’t need external power, but it’s a little bulky. Personally looking for a smaller interface that might not need the CCK if that’s possible.

If you have a headphone jack you can get this https://www.amazon.com/Headset-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543034013&sr=8-3&keywords=trss+adaptor and use any app that can record the mic input.

if you want higher quality there are audio interfaces you can hook up to to your ipad. What mobile recorder would do you think you would get?

Thank you all for your help on this matter! I hadn’t thought of using CCK, it certainly gave a new perspective for this project.

I think I’m going with Zoom H1n + CCK, giving not one but two versatile options for mobile recording

• Screenless with just OP-Z and Zoom H1n, the perfect pocketable combo!
  • Zoom H1n as an audio interface on iPad (I didn’t know it could do that!). This way I can use the OP-Z app and record on background. I can just connect headphones to the Zoom because it is the output interface too. The CCK adapter is needed but it’s not a big deal. For more information about this feature https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6McxeNCIJFw

Come to think, Zoom H1n is a total steal as you get a tiny field recorder and USB audio interface in the same package costing way under 100 eur…

Thanks again!

Great information and solution :slight_smile:

Just to give a quick update, I do not recommend Zoom H1n for OP-Z use.

For some reason there is a lot of loud popping noises going on. These appear when there are any gaps in the output from OP-Z. For example just a metronome click. As soon as I play some long notes these spikes between the clicks disappear.

Really disappointed, It is not usable at all.

Apart from the uca 222 from behringer is there any more compact setup that allow monitoring and recording on ipad ? Thanks

irig is good
roland go mixer also

Check the irig pro I/O, very compact, 1 input with stereo headphones out and midi I/O, but not the cheapest… I’m about to buy one but I’m concerned if I will be able to record in stereo or not…

u need the irig duo if u want stereo in.

@docshermsticks said:
u need the irig duo if u want stereo in.

The irig pro input isn’t stereo ? If I use a stereo cable from the op-z to the irig (not a split cable)?

Ok i forgot got that go mixer in fact :slight_smile:
Thanks will try that doc :wink:

anytime @jazzmess !

@Tony read the specs on the website
the input is TS which is mono
(not TRS which could be stereo or balanced)

Today I recorded the op-z into op-1 4track. Both connected to iPad via Bluetooth(op-1 with Roland Bluetooth usb dongle) op-1 controlled transport. Quneo hooked to iPad controlling motion track. It was bliss. Caps at 6 min as we know but that’s plenty in a pinch.

@jazzmess said:
Apart from the uca 222 from behringer is there any more compact setup that allow monitoring and recording on ipad ? Thanks

How would you connect a uca 222 from an op z to and ipad/iphone?

@alvingreen said:
How would you connect a uca 222 from an op z to and ipad/iphone?

camera connection kit

Oh, I meant how does the OPZ connect to the uca? I thought you needed RCA to record audio through it.

@alvingreen said:
Oh, I meant how does the OPZ connect to the uca? I thought you needed RCA to record audio through it.

I cary a 8th inch to orca adapter in my op-1 bag along with a bunch of other useful cables and adaptors.