Solution for pattern changing at the end of patterns

On OP-Z pattern changing happens immediately when a new pattern selected. However there’s an undocumented feature on OP-Z (I couldn’t find its documentation) that can be used to make pattern switching happen at the end of the actual pattern. Chains come in handy for this. And multiple chains can be saved for a project.

So when you hold P and press play you can chain up to 32 patterns into a chain. That’s great. When you do the same next time, you overwrite the actual chain.
However when a chain is running and you press and hold P and press and hold one of the white keys you can save the actual chain into that slot. And here comes the trick: when you have multiple chains and you initiate a switch between them while playing (by pressing and holding P and pressing on of the highlighted white keys) the new chain will be started only after the current one has finished. So you can create several chains (even containing just a single pattern) and just switch them as you want, the actual pattern (chain) will be played fully before starting the next one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice tip, thanks for posting! I’ll have to try this out :slight_smile:

You can also just hold P and press play, and then choose the next pattern that you want to change to. If you do it like that, the current pattern will finish before starting the next one.

1 Like

@Rumte said:
You can also just hold P and press play, and then choose the next pattern that you want to change to. If you do it like that, the current pattern will finish before starting the next one.

Yeah, that may be right. It’s easier then especially when you change patterns one-by-one.

Ok, my solution in OP is a bit more complicated than just pressing play and pressing the next pattern. However it may be worth to keep this thread because of the description of the feature of saving chains :smiley:

The proposal doesn’t work for me as described.
This is what happens in my case.

Initial Setup

• Project 10
    • Chain Pattern saved in white key #1: 1,1,4,2,3,4
    • Chain Pattern saved in white key #2: 3,2,1,4,2,3

Behavior

• Select white key #1
  • Press Play
  • It plays #1 - 1st pattern (1)
  • It plays #1 - 2nd pattern (1)
  • While playing the above pattern, I press White key #2
  • Instead of continuing Chain from #1 with 3rd pattern (4), after finishing 2nd pattern it plays 3rd pattern from #2, i.e, (1)
  • While playing the above pattern, I press White Key #1
  • Instead of continuing Chain from #2 with 4th pattern (4), after finishing 3rd pattern it plays 4th pattern from #1, i.e, (2)

A sort of visualization of what happens:

Patterns #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
Chain #1 1 1 4 2 3 4
Chain #2 3 2 1 4 2 3

Song #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
Chain #1 1 1 2 3 4
Chain #2 1

So, in summary:

• the chains don’t finish when I press the white key from another chain.
    • Only the current pattern finishes and then jumps to new selected chain
  • The new chain doesn’t start from the beginning when it switches to it
    • This new chain kicks in at the next song slot. So, if it was playing the 2nd pattern before the selection, it will kick it at the 3rd pattern of the new chain.

Hope it makes sense

1 Like