OP-1 Low Volume Headphones

Heya! I got an OP-1 recently and I thought to ask here since I hardly found anything related to my “problem”. In the same time it is also a matter of perception but still I have to ask.

Everything seems amazing with the OP-1 but I feel it can’t get as loud as I want it to. I have 2 different pair of headphones - Beyerdinamic Custom One Pro 16ohm and DT990 250 ohm. Strangely the Dt990 sound louder than the Custom Ones !?!

If I plug any speaker it is amazing; it is punchy loud, anything, I can’t turn the knob more than 40%.

But if I plug in those headphones it simply feels weak.

When I use the OP-Z these headphones easily sound 2 times louder.

Before you say to check the master, I did all that. Even the tape volume red line thing, I drove the Drive in master, checked all the eq’s Basically did all the possible checks, did 2 factory resets etc. I tried my headphones to another OP-1 and still got the same results. I went to a shop to try the Senheiser HD25, still felt weak. Trying to increase the Drive above 40 only compressess super hard, and then it just becomes crunchy but not really loud, losing all dynamics.

I ordered a tiny Fiio A1 to try out and see if anything changes, waiting to arrive. But really with a 16 ohm Custom One and sounds weak as f**k? As I said when pluging in a speaker it’s RAD, great awesome.

What could be the issue?
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi there, I know it’s been awhile since you posted this but I just picked up an OP-1 and the very first thing I noticed is what you’re describing here.

I actually just ordered a headphone amp too and I was wondering if that solution worked for you. I love this synth but that headphone volume…

Thx,
J

I don’t have an OP-1, but the OP-Z has a setting “disable_headphone_db_reduction” that, unless enabled, limits maximum headphone volume. Maybe the OP-1 has something similar?

Thanks, I did a search on that for the op-1 no luck but messing with the drive (mixer>4>drive) seemed to help. It was very low out of the box. But I’m going to give the amp a shot as I’m getting a little hiss from the audio.

Hi…the “standard” distinction among TS and TRS isn’t mono/sound system but instead unequal/adjusted.

Unequal is fine for instruments to their amps and such. Whatever else conveying a low-level sound sign will profit by utilizing a TSR/adjusted link to forestall outside obstruction, particularly over longer distances (more than 2m or something like that). Not all stuff has the alternative to send/get adjusted sign, in which case it looks bad to utilize adjusted link and straightforward lopsided/TS will do the work.

With all that said, you CAN utilize a TRS link to connect a sound system source that utilizes a solitary TRS yield (profoundly abnormal I think) to another sound system TRS input.

Uhm, hi, what’s the relevance of balanced / unbalanced mono cables in this context? It’s all correct as far as I know (though you seem to have translated some nomenclature from another language), but this is about headphones - and headphone jacks use TRS connectors and cables for stereo signals, not for balanced mono signals…

I also find the volume extremely low, even with lower impedance headphones. I have an in line fiio amp I am going to use, but it’s a bit crap that it’s needed really.

thats odd. i can’t turn the volume knob past 1/3 way up (maybe 10, 11 oclock)
without it blowing my eardrums out using headphones.
drums and synths mega loud.

where do yall have all your volumes set at ppl?
like i’m talking tape tracks, orange knob tape level, master LR, master drive, etc?

Adding a bit of drive and adding a bit to the EQ helped in my case. it’s still fairly low, but at a much better volume than before.

what are your master LR values set at?
mine are around 95
like i said mine is more than loud enough on phones
got more volume to spare than i would ever need

mine is one of the early models
wonder if its something they changed over the years?

Low volume over headphones here too
Not just low but also some distortion in the bass frequencies on quality headphones while the cheaper set seem to handle bass response better, ran it through the PO33 monitoring via PO over headphones and volume was much better for some reason

Hi, I don’t know if you already solved the issue, but as I was noodling around with the OP-1 yesterday on the train I noticed that at first the output was low but when I turned my headphone cable around it was normal again. Could it be that the issue is that you’re using headphones with build-microphone (so TRRS cable) and that this is not always compatible with the OP-1?
Just a thought I had yesterday.

1 Like

That could be it for some folks, but not in my case. My issue was solved by adding a bit of drive to the tape master.