Explanations on synth engines

Hello friends of the OP Z community.

I’m discovering my grey little unit since a few days, and I’m quite understanding a lot of it features. But there’s one I really don’t understand… It’s the synth engines. How do they work ? How do you select them ? Does they apply to a track ? A sound in particular ? A pattern ? And how ? The manual is not so clear about that. I understand the concept of the presets of each track, I thought this was the way the synth engines were applied. But I think it’s different, isn’t it ? Well, any personn kindly enough to explain to me a little bit will be forever thanked !

Peace from Paris where it’s a sunny day (especially with the OPIZI in my pocket)

Sumbreto (happy father of three PO’S and one OPIZI)

1 Like

hold track and select one of tracks 5-8
while holding track still u’ll see the numbers 1-6 light up on the “black keys”
press any of the six numbers to select different engines

the “white keys” underneath them are presets u can save/load for each engine

Hmmmm… are you sure about that ? In the OP Z manual it appears that there is 9 synth engines.

And when I select a black key like you mentionned, the green and blue color wheel does not do what it’s suppose to do (what the manual tell us it’s doing).

yes i am sure
if u use the app to look at it you’ll see that each number corresponds to one of the synth engines.
for some reason each track doesn’t have all 9 but they are all there, each track is different

u can use the configurator in the app to add the missing ones into the empty # slots
if u’d like

Ok I get it… I don’t have an Iphone so it’s difficult to visualize all this complex things.

yea i hear u. i spent most of my time w/ it so far w/o the app
the app def helps unlock some of the mystery

So the OP-Z has synthesizer engines that can only be unlocked via the app? That doesn’t sound right. What engines are missing?

@dracokev said:
So the OP-Z has synthesizer engines that can only be unlocked via the app? That doesn’t sound right. What engines are missing?

Kind of, not really. By default, the four synth tracks each have I think around five or six of the eight synth engines assigned to them - I think the logic is that not all of the synth engines are suited to all of the tracks (for example, some might not be as good for bass etc… which I didn’t find to be particularly true, but still).

It’s trivial to use the app to put any missing engines on any of the tracks, however you can also do it by plugging it into your computer via USB - it’s just a bit less obvious what you’re doing because all of the engines are just named a random number when you do it like this.

Here’s how they’re laid out by #s

• bass - 26, 129, 98, 25, 65, 112
  • lead - 65, 25, 11, 26, 98, 112
  • arp - 26, 25, 11, 65, 98,113
  • chord- 31, 26, 11,25, 65, 112

Anyone know where to find info on the parameters for each synth beyond param1 and param2?

1 Like

Here is a map of what is where on a factory fresh OPZ

Edit - Ha, no the file won’t upload for some reason, nothing to see here :slight_smile:

Edit - Ha, no the file won’t upload for some reason, nothing to see here :slight_smile:

Seriously, the upload issue on this forum is MADDENING
Did you make this map or find it somewhere?

Nevermind, found one here: https://www.teenageengineering.com/guides/op-z/reference#synth-engines

1 Like

I don’t get how you assign all the synths to all the synth tracks if you don’t have an appel device so you can access the app?

They really got to make an android app also!!

@onthervn said:
I don’t get how you assign all the synths to all the synth tracks if you don’t have an appel device so you can access the app?

Use the disk mode and copy the files from the slots (subfolders) to each other, making sure you don’t double up (ie., two of the same synth in different subfolders). Dunno how to word that so it makes more sense…

from the other thread…which engine corresponds to which filename
https://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4836/synth-engines-names-by-their-numbers#latest

@docshermsticks said:
saw = 26
uranus = 129
electric = 98
digital = 25
volt = 65
bow = 112
cluster = 11
shade = 31

@docshermsticks Just curious, is there any content inside those .engine files?

i didn’t think to look but i wanna say that its a ~ filename so the actual file is hidden somewhere on the device.
and the ~ file is the folders is just a link

i’ll peep it in a couple minutes just eating my breakfast right now

@punji

ya its a linked ~ file. zero bytes. nothing to see :frowning: