Hooking gear up. ( Need desperate help )

Hello all. Please please make life a tad bit easier, so I have an OP 1 + OP Z + Microkorg XL

I am tying to hook everything into the behringer umc404hd

Could someone please guide me as to how this should all be connected, what cables where, beginner here and don’t want to ruin any gear.

THANK YOU!

@courcreate if you could assist here as well, that’d be great.

Hi @emote :slight_smile:
Looks like you have 4 mono inputs on your behringer at 1/4 "
You want your synths audio to stay in stereo and this will require two mono inputs (if I’m assuming corrrct regarding the UMC).
So only room to input two synths.
At this point I would decide to piggyback tho audio of the opz through the op1 input. This requires a simple 1/8" stereo cable from Z to OP1 input and activating the line in Ear all the time to monitor the Z. This ain’t such a bad partnership coz they could work like this stand alone well , allowing samples and recordings of Z to op-1 or just monitor z sequences along with Op1 business.
Now find a stereo 1/8" to two mono 1/4" jack cable and connect from the Op1 output into the first two inputs on the UMC with the splitt mono jacks. Then pan those two channels left and right in you’re software or route accordingly. Also set to line on the front of UMC and use the pad switch to raise or drop gain along with your gain pot so that when the op1 kicks out its loudest signal you have no digital clipping but is just below.
Now the Microkorg is simply two 1/4" mono jacks to input channels 3&4 set up the same.

I haven’t touched midi.
I haven’t tried the opz usb with Op1 so will wait for others to chime in.
Also include what software you use.
Plugging a 5 pin midi cable from midi out of Microkorg to midi input on behringer and midi in of MK to midi out of behringer seems good, but again I don’t use software or usb midi much so not sure.

You may not need midi straight away to get going. Just get that audio working and fly your gear by ear in time with each other. .just to start.
There is a useful knob on front of UMC called mix. Set this to 12 o’clock or fully clockwise to 5 o’clock to monitor your synths without software.

Thanks so much for this @Spheric_El
Could I possibly use one of these to input into the sound card ? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SOhY6qD0By7sIcQPcyCni1ZhnCW85i-v/view?usp=drivesdk

Also how does the op-1 work with a res cable ? Cause thats how I have it connected right now and works ok :confused: @Spheric_El

Er no, that is a splitter but not what you want.
This https://www.gak.co.uk/en/stagg-syc-stereo-jack-to-dual-mono-jack-cable-1m3ft-syc1mps2p-e/117188?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwguDeBRDCARIsAGxuU8Zodw65yTuamktzVBTmopw0U9abjSDClbh_8gKfRPfg4NX3PdMdZCUaAsuqEALw_wcB
Was the cheapest I googled. A bit too cheap maybe this if you want to spend more https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Roland-1-8-TRS-Dual-1-4-Interconnect-Cable-10ft-3m/1HXJ?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=69895d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=185630801839&gclid=Cj0KCQjwguDeBRDCARIsAGxuU8bI5aVaAou_wVQkCxyZfprWWkMEizNfIIiUwmMIjPmuwElDFiauVgcaAlZfEALw_wcB

Not sure about the res cable, but double check there is no phase cancellation on some of the master fx like spring.

No I meant is there any way to make the two monos go in together into the audio interface so I can save a slot. Thanks and sorry for the trouble

@emote said:
No I meant is there any way to make the two monos go in together into the audio interface so I can save a slot. Thanks and sorry for the trouble

Unfortunately, each input on your interface is only capable of receiving a single, mono signal. If you attempt to “merge” two inputs (two mono signals, or a stereo pair) into one of your mono inputs, it will sound waaaay funky. When I got my first audio interface for recording my OP, I had to learn the same lesson, unfortunately. Buy that chord Spheric is recommending you! It works beautifully for me and is the only solution to recording into your interface for this configuration (the Microkorg XL + OP-1 using that chord for the OP-1 and whatever the former needs, plugged into your interface, with the OP-Z output plugged into your OP-1 input).

@l3ftofthedial just pointed out in his thread setting up the Z with the OP1 that the Z will become mono when monitored and recorded with the OP1.
If this becomes a problem for you you could buy a passive mixer.
I bought one from @darenager here,whom you could try to see if he has any left or can supply you with information about them.
These simple circuits will combine 1/8" stereo signals.

Hi @emote
How’s it going? :slight_smile:
Just thought I’d add if you are already using a cable from OP1 to one input of behringer and are happy with the results -nothing to stop you continuing. You can safely run the microkorg from one cable in mono and this would leave two inputs for a stereo connection of the Z.

Maybe consider a mixer in the future, if you get more gear. Those passive one’s are good coz the’re dead cheap,don’t require power and are tiny.

Also the mono input on the mk vocoder (line in on back) could be used to piggyback.