Pattern longer than 16 steps

I know of the function to slow down a pattern, but is there a strategy to increase the step count of a pattern to more than 16? or a way to link patterns?

Patterns link very easily, it’s in the manual and is a major part of song design (along with master track)

Slowing down is also very useful for chords etc, where you are just dropping in say every 4 bars.

1 Like

Not totally sure if this is what you’re asking, but hold track and shift plus one of the numbered black keys to change the number of bars for that particular track (eg pressing 4 will give you 64 steps), and you can also press one of the step buttons to further divide the pattern from there if you want a non-standard amount of steps.

To chain patterns, hold pattern and press play, then punch in the order of the patterns you’d like to play.

@skoomsy said:
Not totally sure if this is what you’re asking, but hold track and shift plus one of the numbered black keys to change the number of bars for that particular track (eg pressing 4 will give you 64 steps)

How are those 64 steps then displayed on the unit? Multiple pages of 16 steps?

@Greatexpectations said:
How are those 64 steps then displayed on the unit? Multiple pages of 16 steps?

No, currently in this setup the single 64 steps are neither displayed nor editable individually. They can only be recorded in live mode and quantized to the 64 steps afterwards.
Maybe have a look at this section of Cukoo’s tutorial here, that should explain it.

Pattern chaining is not really what I am looking for, rather linking two or more patterns to be treated as one, so levels and settings link too.

So far that appears to be a nogo. The approach would be to hone your “master pattern” and copy chain that across, then make step edits for variations.

One thing I noticed is that the patterns are all 16 steps. If you’re doing a waltz or shuffle it appears that you can’t change the pattern to 12 steps. I can change individual tracks to 12 steps but when I chain patterns the patterns are all 16 steps long so I get 4/3 of the 12 step pattern.

If that made any sense :smiley:

@tumble2k said:
when I chain patterns the patterns are all 16 steps long so I get 4/3 of the 12 step pattern.

If that made any sense :smiley:
not really could you try to explain it in another way ?
I asked the question about how to play triplets and 5-plets and all but received no answer.

@tumble2k said:
One thing I noticed is that the patterns are all 16 steps. If you’re doing a waltz or shuffle it appears that you can’t change the pattern to 12 steps. I can change individual tracks to 12 steps but when I chain patterns the patterns are all 16 steps long so I get 4/3 of the 12 step pattern.

When you chain patterns the individual patterns will have as many steps as their longest track. If you set all tracks of a pattern to 12 steps it will also just be 12 steps when chained with other patterns.

1 Like

I must admit I’ve struggled with developing a pattern to a sequence where I feel like I’ve got a few patterns for a track. I’ve tried deleting patterns for a pre-loaded track, but when I try to say’ start with a simple pattern and duplicate it so that I can add layers and different melodies, I just wind up getting stuck on pattern one.

Pressing the ‘P’ for pattern, Up arrow for copy and then attempting to paste just doesn’t work for making pattern two for me. In the app, the track sequencer just leaves a new number in slot one, which is what I was working on anyway. User error I’m sure, but frustrating when trying to cram learning in to a ten minute slot on break times.

Any suggestions to what I’m getting wrong would be welcome.

@amuelli Thanks for your answer! That means I need to set all 16 tracks to length 12? That’s kinda a pain. There’s probably a way I can copy and paste the settings.

@j0nny It looks like @amuelli answered my question and maybe clarified. To get triplets I think you can set all tracks to have a note length of 3 (track + shift + 3). The tracks will have extra resolution but no way of editing individual notes at that resolution. You need to enter it in live. You can do the same for quintuplets by setting the track note lengths to 5.

@tumble2k said:
To get triplets I think you can set all tracks to have a note length of 3 (track + shift + 3).
if you modify note length(*3) won’t it only lengthen the track (*3) ?
if you want to play 3 within 1 beat like you say would’nt you need to speed the track ?
I thought to use 12 steps instead of 16 might permit to play 4 triplets within 1 bar but perhaps that not how it works ?

@tumble2k said:
@amuelli Thanks for your answer! That means I need to set all 16 tracks to length 12? That’s kinda a pain. There’s probably a way I can copy and paste the settings.

@j0nny It looks like @amuelli answered my question and maybe clarified. To get triplets I think you can set all tracks to have a note length of 3 (track + shift + 3). The tracks will have extra resolution but no way of editing individual notes at that resolution. You need to enter it in live. You can do the same for quintuplets by setting the track note lengths to 5.

Something like a “length master” function would be a quick resolution and to this and non-destructively truncating the slave lengths. That sounds kinda passive aggressive ?

@j0nny said:

@tumble2k said:
To get triplets I think you can set all tracks to have a note length of 3 (track + shift + 3).

Yes

if you want to play 3 within 1 beat like you say would’nt you need to speed the track ?

Yes

I thought to use 12 steps instead of 16 might permit to play 4 triplets within 1 bar but perhaps that not how it works ?

Yes that’s another approach. Not sure how you would do quintuplets.

5 or 10 for quintuplets, right?

Just any multiple should work. Also, seeing as you can apply step components to retrig steps (I think) that would be another way to look at these polyrhythms. Another way: using swing and choosing which steps to ignore. Another way: play the notes in manually. Could get some interesting results by quantizing… Quant is always to 16th notes right?

@tumble2k said:

@j0nny said:

@tumble2k said:

Yes

Yes

it seems though you can’t speed up the track by dividing the step duration ? ie. 16 steps for a half beat etc. ?

my head is spinning…

@ludicrouSpeed I think quantization is 1/24 of a 16th note. I haven’t played with step components yet. My head is spinning too!

Is it possible to combine 2 patterns into one? For example, combine one pattern with 16 steps and another pattern with 16 steps into a new pattern with 32 steps? Would make sense and should be pretty simple, no?