Anyone liking the volume knob?

I think the yellow sticking out volume tab is a really bad design choice. It is really hard to adjust when the OPz is lying down and it just looks like it will snap. Do you see any reason why it is designed like this?

Its both a power switch and volume, so space considerations were made to cover both needs. The dial can also be covered with something if desired, so thats always an option.

You can actually pull it out like you could pull off the encoders on the OP-1; maybe use it like a key to turn on/off the machine and put it aside on your table when you’re working with the device?

@wangbang said:
You can actually pull it out like you could pull off the encoders on the OP-1; maybe use it like a key to turn on/off the machine and put it aside on your table when you’re working with the device?

You can pull it out!?

@oscar3000 said:

@wangbang said:

You can pull it out!?

I just tried… nope.

I don’t realy like the knob, just doesn’t work for me as a design or ergonomically.

It would have been a great idea to use a pull off knob that also fitted in to the cross shape on the top dials so that once you were on and at the right volume you could use it as say a filter knob. From TEs point of view it would also have been another customisable accessory. Ant help but feel they missed a trick…

Maybe a button combo with the pitch bend squidgy thing would have been less awkward/prone to breakage… Not a fan of any controls that aren’t on top of units tho tbh. The videos look like people are handling a 6" Subway sandwich :wink:

@oscar3000 said:

@oscar3000 said:

@wangbang said:

You can pull it out!?

I just tried… nope.

You definitely can, I can pull mine out; maybe mine is loose?

@wangbang said:

@oscar3000 said:

@oscar3000 said:

@wangbang said:

You can pull it out!?

I just tried… nope.

You definitely can, I can pull mine out; maybe mine is loose?

Well would you look at that! Mine was really tight… well that’s kind of cool. If you don’t like the current knob things you can swap it out with something a little more subtle with a lower profile. I don’t know that it’s meant to be ripped off, if it were I’m sure it would have those LEGO crosses ( which would have been quite nifty) but it still leaves room for a little basic modding I suppose.

You’re right, I don’t think it’s meant to be pulled off. Probably just loose manufacturing tolerances.

@wangbang said:
You’re right, I don’t think it’s meant to be pulled off. Probably just loose manufacturing

Well mine wasn’t loose at all… and while tugging I inadvertently activated the mic so it came off with a brutal CRACK-SNAP! I though I broke something. It’s definitly removable now though. Hahaha

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpkJ6PElBhJ/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1e0hrelfkvbax

why this design ? @ONE

it could have been so easy to make it a LEGO cross shape insert, just like on the encoders…

whoops… so for future reference it’s not meant to come out. Yeah the lego thing would have made so much sense…

“This photo or video has been removed from instagram”

How much did they pay?

@RisingSon said:
“This photo or video has been removed from instagram”

How much did they pay?

Hopefully they provided him with a new unit

Don’t own one yet - hopefully coming ASAP - but the volume knob is the one thing that I find really dumb! As a fan of industrial design, I actually like the way the yellow tab looks, but given that this is an instrument that’s meant to be picked up and carried about, it does seem a really poor choice and there are lots of different designs they could have used.

Interestingly, it’s been present on all the design iterations since the very beginning, so whoever the lead designer was - not sure if Jesper does that? - they must have been adamant it stayed regardless of any criticism, which if correct is adamarable, albeit a bit dumb!

I personally think the power/volume knob thingy is a great design. It reminds the user that “Hey this is master volume” and needs to be handled w/ care. Think about it if it were on top of the unit then either op-z wouldn’t be flat or it would be too easy/difficult to make fine adjustments to the output sound. Putting it on the side makes perfect sense to me.
The Deluge does something similar where master volume is on top but the knob tension is blatantly tighter than the other knobs so the user can accurately adjust overall output without inadvertently knocking the knob in either direction.

a wider knob like the top encoders would make it easier to make fine adjustments – more travel per the same volume increment. but yeah, more resistance is nicer.

i agree the long volume knob is baffling, when they went to the trouble of having low-profile knobs on top (correcting one of the main hinderances to portability on the op-1)

The flat area of the knob is just too thin and fragile considering the OP-Z mass, the plastic will simple snap. It may look cool but was not designed to survive, that is for sure. Hopefullly TE will sell spare ones for a reasonable price…