Why is there a mic on the OP-Z?

Am I missing something? Why is there a mic on the OP-Z? There is no info in the guide about using it to sample.

There is something, but the use is limited.
Hold it up to your face and it is activated…you can speak into it and apply effects, that’s all.
NO RECORDING OF SAMPLES, which is what everybody is waiting for.

I think they put the hardware in, so that software features could be added later.

Thank you. Just needed a little sanity check.

I think its the last thing most DJ electronic artists bring to shows. But yeah its weird cuz its so close to the speaker, I agree it’s just a cool function to have avail as the patches and software expand?? But so far it’s useless unless hooked up to an external audio source.

Gotta admit had fun running the mic thru my car audio system sitting in LA traffic.

@RisingSon said:

that’s what the op-1 is for. TE needs a reason to sell you both devices.

@kingof9x said:

@RisingSon said:

that’s what the op-1 is for. TE needs a reason to sell you both devices.

I understand what you are saying, but still…
It is not a smart move as it leaves them with two could-be-perfect-products.
why not make one device that doesn’t have some obvious things missing?
I mean the OP-1 working with Tape is still very different from the OP-Z.

Good design does not care, if you outcompete your previous product (which is in some ways outdated anyway).
It should only care for making your next product the best it can be.

TE adds runways to their products… This mic will be something tied into a future module perhaps? Possible bluetooth mic to future TE product? We as consumers see products as fully fleshed out at launch; however TE has proven to support products with updates far beyond some other manufacturers. At the very least its a cool fx mic if youre in a pinch.

I think it could be pretty useful. For example, there’s a small but cool venue in my hometown that’s got a permanent setup with a projector and a light rig. I figure that will be an awesome place to perform with the OP-1 and the OP-Z. I don’t do vocals (not while performing electronic music anyways) so the only reason for me to bring a microphone, a stand and a cable would be just to be able to say a few words to the audience. Now I don’t have to!