Opz and ios/external

Judging from videos the internal sounds/fx aren’t my thing. Anyone using it with ios apps and/or hardware for other sounds/fx?

Is the ios app an AUv3? Any glitching/clock issues when switching apps? Sequencer looks pretty good…

How are people (without iPad aversions :wink: finding the small form and buttons? Fiddly or significantly better than hitting bigger buttons on an iPad screen? From videos I’m not sure I dig the way you often have to grip it with both hands to hit functions/stop it moving/tipping (saw one video where a dude hit the far right key and the unit tilted up at the opposite corner? Are the legs underneath badly placed?)… Does it feel ‘right’? Or kind of awkward?

And regarding “Is the ios app an AUv3”, can someone confirm wether the dual domain synthesis is or is not available, I mean, does the iOS device outputs sound?

@punji said:
And regarding “Is the ios app an AUv3”, can someone confirm wether the dual domain synthesis is or is not available, I mean, does the iOS device outputs sound?

I can confirm the app does not output audio. Simply a visual representation. @Callofthevoid I don’t think it feels awkward or too small at all. I do have pretty small hands though! I have an ipad aversion, but I like the feel of the Opz. I agree, needing 2 hands to use some functions is annoying. I proposed latch modes for those functions on the beta forum and got a pretty warm response from the devs, so that could be a possibility down the road. Never felt like I needed 2 hands to steady it all. The rubber feet work ok for my level of action.

I’ve been trying to get the op-z midi to drive iOS apps like the op-1 does, without success so far. Still reading the manual though, I keep stopping to make tracks!

Been using it a lot in two hands; the edges and corners are really sharp, doesn’t feel very ergonomic. Not an issue when using the z on a table though. But with something so compact and portable, I kind of want to use it in my hands, like the POs.

How sharp? Like poorly machined sharp? Or intentionally non rounded sharp?

@ludicrouSpeed said:
Non-rounded, probably intentional. Using it in a table I don’t notice, but it definitely reminds you when using in 2 hands. I’ll probably forget about it soon though, the sounds are too damn fun!
Update on midi, I had the op-z running Model 15 and Ripplemaker thiough AUM on the iPad today - step components worked really well; tried it with the 0-coast tonight but midi was acting strange.

@sketcherazzi said:

@ludicrouSpeed said:
Non-rounded, probably intentional. Using it in a table I don’t notice, but it definitely reminds you when using in 2 hands. I’ll probably forget about it soon though, the sounds are too damn fun!
Update on midi, I had the op-z running Model 15 and Ripplemaker thiough AUM on the iPad today - step components worked really well; tried it with the 0-coast tonight but midi was acting strange.

Sounds cool for ios. Love a lot of the ios synths/samplers but often hate sequencing in ios down to having to constantly flip between apps’ GUI’s… Waiting to see what the deal is with the op-z modules price and functionality, looking pretty sweet so far though…

Got my op-z working with the Arturia keystep. Just needed a c to a adapter. Also got it driving iOS synths hosted in AUM via Bluetooth midi. Only thing I can’t figure out is how to turn the arpeggiator off on the arp channel.

I def have been trying to hook up external midi, have had some success but cannot turn off midi out in the iOS app (which keeps disconnecting when I try) as it keeps sending program changes to my notation XL control. It’s great to set the first 8 channels onto a mixer along with pan & filter controls all laid out while editing. Have the RK005 from retro kits in tow but really need the usb c to a adapter before I get to deep.