Looks like the whole first batch is misprinted...

https://www.reddit.com/r/OPZuser/comments/9q85fa/these_are_the_14_step_components_i_pressed_the/

I have an official confirmation from TE support.

Paraphrasing the email they send me:
ā€žLead Designer made a very late stage change to the icons. So first batch has different icons. Regard your unit as a special limited edition ;)ā€

I hope early adopters are not punished, I an Live with this but if we end up being the only people without glow in the dark paint I will be a bit miffedā€¦

I donā€™t really like the answer of TE supportā€¦ Do you think that the problem will be the same with the seller batch ? For the Lucky ones who have already received op-z, what is the impact of this misprinted on the use ?

Oh well at least it will match the cuckoo videos?

Sorry we delivered your Ferrari without seatsā€¦

ā€œconsider it a limited special editionā€

:smiley:

Has anyone done a review on the Op-z?
Are the usual YouTube personalities too scared to dis? Or tied to NDAs still?
Would be nice to get an honest and balanced view. Expectations have been ridiculously high but misleading battery specs and misprints on keys are really not ideal.

Would love to hear what Tarekith thinks as his review of the op-1 was spot on, and one that spoke about how difficult it can be to see the screen outdoors/direct sunlight (can`t adjust the contrast).

Youā€™ve got to be kidding :expressionless:

Too many issues, man; this is really killing it for me. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow, and Iā€™m considering shipping it right back now!

This is kind of ridiculous. I was chatting with someone at TE last week and they mentioned just before they started manufacturing that they noticed an issue with the buttons double pressing occasionally, so they had to cancel and find a different type of rubber dome for they keys.

For something that took so long to develop it seems strange that theyā€™re rushing with these last minute changes. Iā€™m at work and I just had a notification saying mine was delivered, but I might return it and wait to see if everything gets ironed out.

@skoomsy said:
This is kind of ridiculous. I was chatting with someone at TE last week and they mentioned just before they started manufacturing that they noticed an issue with the buttons double pressing occasionally, so they had to cancel and find a different type of rubber dome for they keys.

For something that took so long to develop it seems strange that theyā€™re rushing with these last minute changes. Iā€™m at work and I just had a notification saying mine was delivered, but I might return it and wait to see if everything gets ironed out.

Iā€™m torn, Iā€™m really enjoying mine on the one hand, however the shorter than advertised battery life and the inability to load your own samples without using a third party VST (seems like an insane TE oversight) are truly frustrating

Iā€™m trying to figure out what all the step components do and how they work. I just noticed the black keys also do something step-componenty when you press them (shift+key)
I donā€™t have an apple device so itā€™s hard to guess most of the timesā€¦

@andrewc said:

@skoomsy said:

Iā€™m torn, Iā€™m really enjoying mine on the one hand, however the shorter than advertised battery life and the inability to load your own samples without using a third party VST (seems like an insane TE oversight) are truly frustrating

I hear you on the sample loading. Iā€™m more worried about the hardware. Solving the sample transfer issue via software feels immenent. Solving hardware issues (misprints, battery life) are much harder to change. Maybe if theyā€™re doing some really unoptimized things that are crushing the battery, but not holding my breath.

@Andrew said: Has anyone done a review on the Op-z?
Would be nice to get an honest and balanced view. Expectations have been ridiculously high but misleading battery specs and misprints on keys are really not ideal.

This (& many more reasons) is why I always wait a little while & never buy a piece of gear right when it gets released. It seems issues are pretty common in newly released gearā€¦ like a lot of gear gets released a little earlier than it shouldā€™ve beenā€¦& the first public users are just another round of beta testersā€¦

With respects to a 3rd party vst to transfer samples, I bet there will be more options in the future.

I will say Iā€™m surprised they advertised the battery life being 16 hours, but it really only lasts 3-4 hours. Thatā€™s EXTREME. I read TE removed all battery life talk from their websiteā€¦but it just doesnā€™t make sense to meā€¦ TE tests out the battery lifeā€¦ā€œIt only lasted 4 hours, but fuck it, letā€™s say 16ā€ Seriously???

Could it be like the Op-1? It needs to fully drain to fully charge or something like that? I donā€™t knowā€¦I understand companies fudge a bit when marketing, but 16 hours vs. 3-4 hours is HUGE. Something isnā€™t right with that.

@Sharris said:
Could it be like the Op-1? It needs to fully drain to fully charge or something like that? I donā€™t knowā€¦I understand companies fudge a bit when marketing, but 16 hours vs. 3-4 hours is HUGE. Something isnā€™t right with that.

at least itā€™s a user replacable battery. That is more than you get from other super well designed pieces of technology these days. Maybe they will come out with a battery module that adds some thickness, but also charges your phone, and op-1?

After the whole thing with the latest op-1 firmware I started to take everything they say about future products and updates with a bunch of salt. I wish they would launch everything like they did with pocket operators. Not talk about it at all until itā€™s ready to ship. Getting caught up in hype is a good way to set yourself up for disappointment.

ā€¦and all this after 3 years of delays to get everything rightā€¦

But hey, you get a ā€˜bonus burdenā€™ :smiley:

haha it has low battery lifeā€¦ itā€™s misprinted, hooray for burdens. So much fun. (TE sense of humor). Last time I pre-order. I learned my lesson.