IOS audio interface for Youtube/Insta?

Hi guys just wondering what audio interface and software people use to capture audio on iPhone?

I’ve heard people mention Roland Go mixer. Any other suggestions?

There’s so many options out there, I have the Roland go mixer. it’s good for some things but it has it’s disadvantages too. Depends largely on your needs

@ludicrouSpeed said:
There’s so many options out there, I have the Roland go mixer. it’s good for some things but it has it’s disadvantages too. Depends largely on your needs

Care to share what the advantages and disadvantages are?

i have the irig hd 2. i like it a lot but its mono in/stereo out if that matters to u.

Behringer UCA202 or 222!

Biggest disadvantage of the Go:mixer is that they provide a comically short micro USB to lightning cable. It doesn’t stay plugged in very well either.

@Zzzach said:
Biggest disadvantage of the Go:mixer is that they provide a comically short micro USB to lightning cable. It doesn’t stay plugged in very well either.

@lescour1 depending on your usage, the main issue with it is that you can’t monitor while recording without recording what you’re monitoring. That is the main glaring fault with it. If you don’t need to do this then it’s absolutely no issue and you won’t care at all. but if you would like to do this then you’re basically screwed and you have to work around it or get a different interface.

other than that the sound quality is not great on the preamps it’s a bit fuzzy and noisy. That connectivity ways it’s super awesome and it can run being plugged into any USB power source so functions as a portable mixer on its own.

@lescour1 from Roland “* It is not possible to monitor existing tracks through GO:MIXER while recording a new performance.”

From https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/gomixer/support_documents/6a7891c1-5557-4bb2-81c7-6d62e1d30df3/

yeah, so depends on what you want to do, for instance is if you’re recording into the op1 then it doesn’t matter because you can monitor out of op1 in most cases

Mind you, I have noticed that there’s latency when recording through the op1… Lately I’ve tried tracking some guitars and vocals via op1 to use cwo or phone and that unique op1 crunchiness. It’s not too much, haven’t measured it. Feels like maybe 7ms or more. That’s op1 latency, not the go mixer. The latency is present when recording DI through the op1

could also try the zoom u-22. battery powered or usb, plug and play with mac or ios device. need the cck though, either one will do. quite robust, can’t talk about guitar input or mic usage, works great for my op-1 recording to ipad.

@ludicrouSpeed said:
Mind you, I have noticed that there’s latency when recording through the op1… Lately I’ve tried tracking some guitars and vocals via op1 to use cwo or phone and that unique op1 crunchiness. It’s not too much, haven’t measured it. Feels like maybe 7ms or more. That’s op1 latency, not the go mixer. The latency is present when recording DI through the op1

Literally mate all I want to use it for is recording live jam videos for Instagram and YouTube instead of the iPhone mic. Not bothered about multitracking or anything like that. So am I right in saying if I do that, I can monitor what I’m recording?

@lescour1 said:

@ludicrouSpeed said:

Literally mate all I want to use it for is recording live jam videos for Instagram and YouTube instead of the iPhone mic. Not bothered about multitracking or anything like that. So am I right in saying if I do that, I can monitor what I’m recording?

Yeah, that’s what I do with it. Lots of inputs. I have a mic plugged into the go mixer mic pre so I can live commente on my process like dis https://youtu.be/BeqsTeND2Xw

@ludicrouSpeed said:

@lescour1 said:

@ludicrouSpeed said:

Yeah, that’s what I do with it. Lots of inputs. I have a mic plugged into the go mixer mic pre so I can live commente on my process like dis https://youtu.be/BeqsTeND2Xw

Nice one man thanks for your help. Out of interest when you use Go Mixer with camera on iPhone, does it automatically select it as sound source?

I’m pretty sure yes. I’ve not used it in a few months. @lescour1

I use a Zoom H4N with my (android) phone. I route all my equipment to a 12 channel Yamaha mixer, plug the stereo out sockets into the Zoom recorder and connect the Zoom to my phone using an OTG-cable. When I set the Zoom to audio interface-mode, the phone records the external sound source automatically while shooting videos. I monitor everything by connecting my headphones to the Zoom.

Not sure if this works with iphones, but I’d be suprised if it didn’t.

@Operator666 said:

Not sure if this works with iphones, but I’d be suprised if it didn’t.

hmm, now i want to give that combo a check. i have h5 though

being able to monitor what u are actually recording is crucial
(not just what u have pre-phone)
gunna make your life 1000x easier

@docshermsticks said:
being able to monitor what u are actually recording is crucial
(not just what u have pre-phone)
gunna make your life 1000x easier

It’s true. The iPhone won’t show a visible representation of the input signal, so no clipping indicator. There’s probably 3rd party video apps that show input level though.

still u wanna hear it! not just see it. trust me.
it will make your life making videos and whatnot on phone/tablet sooooo much less stressful.

the visual meters on the apps are not very good representations either.
and only some have audio meters. its not standard.

@docshermsticks said:
still u wanna hear it! not just see it. trust me.
it will make your life making videos and whatnot on phone/tablet sooooo much less stressful.

the visual meters on the apps are not very good representations either.
and only some have audio meters. its not standard.

I should clarify that you can monitor your input on the go mixer, ie. You can hear it. It’s just that due to the limited way in which the audio is being routed, you cant record an overdub into the go mixer while monitoring a pre existing track/s from the go mixer. Ie. Garage band or korg gadget