OPZ modules

Wild speculation time:

How much do you think the upcoming midi / cv module will cost?

Given the OP-Z is around 500 I cant see them being more than 40-50 bucks/euros

And with a 30€ usb cable as a reference ? I rather fear 100€…

@jazzmess said:

Yes… My guess is 100+ range.

i think it’s pretty easy to build a Midi out socket and cv/gate module once the connector is shown. hopefully with a pinout documentation.
btw. it’s just 3 cables soldered to 1 jack. same for midi.

Is it really going to be that easy? How can you be sure there are no additional circuits inside the module, even some kind of keylock to avoid people doing that? Not to speak of the miniature size…

€119,-/€179,-

My bet is between $1-200

Modules will be priced same as pocket operators

first gen or latest? ?

…they should be priced cheap to collect them as an essential part of OP-Z

I’m going to guess $100 (but TE are reading this, so I’m going to say <$50 to them :wink: There has to be something other than wiring - for example, the MIDI will need an optoisolator, and I’m sure that isn’t already in the OP-Z.
I’d really like this part to be “open”, or/and for them to create a module with I/O like the OPLab. They could even sell shoes again!

yeah I know…most of the circuit is just resistors and such…opto for midi etc.

OP-1 Oplab OP-Z and 12 Gate Outputs for lights and trigs…

@francato said:

@jazzmess said:

Actually its 36 euros for a simple usb cable…you can get a decent one for 4euros…my question is how on earth can TE justify this price??..an op 1 antenna costs 19 euros!!!..i got 3 for 4 euros…i fear that modules will cost upwards of 200 euros…
Its insane…listing simple assesories for 1000% more.

I blame the price of beer in Sweden.

@stepanok said:

@francato said:

@jazzmess said:

Actually its 36 euros for a simple usb cable…you can get a decent one for 4euros…my question is how on earth can TE justify this price??..an op 1 antenna costs 19 euros!!!..i got 3 for 4 euros…i fear that modules will cost upwards of 200 euros…
Its insane…listing simple assesories for 1000% more.

I think the justification is that they’re a small company that’s been developing this thing for three years and now they want to charge a lot for the branded accessories pretty much the same way Apple does it. You can probably use any kind of USB-C cable with this device, but customers who are devoted to the brand will still fork up 36 bucks for a branded cable and TE are happy to oblige.

Fun fact: TE is (or at least was) backed by Swedish financiers who are mainly into fashion retail (Gina Tricot, Ellos etc). Seems obvious they would understand the value of the TE brand and want to use it to get the best ROI they can.

As for the modules, I think they will go for about 100 bucks, maybe a bit more. I’d be happy to pay less, but I don’t find it very likely based on my overall understanding of the company.

At least I know my money will be going go to a bunch of nice and brilliant people who brought me the most joyous piece of musical equipment I’ve ever laid my hands on. :slight_smile:

This :wink:

There is a big difference in the cost of branded cables vs bulk basic cables. The cost alone of a mold for injected plastic is thousands of dollars. I once had to get quotes on custom cables inside a DB9 housing for work, and it was about $50 per cable not including the circuitry that went into it. But I see both sides of this – no need to buy a branded cable unless you want that. Fortunately they aren’t proprietary cables or anything. Hopefully they will standardize the add-on modules so that one mold can be reused for many versions, or else that cost will definitely be a premium.

The OP-Z comes with a USB-C cable ?