OP-Z Mega tutorial by Cuckoo

Hey folks…just released and hot off the presses… https://youtu.be/r87f_gQKlxo

I’m at work so can’t watch it til tonight. :frowning:

Sorry, forgot to tag the main man himself, @cuckoo. Thanks dude!!

Enjoy!!

symph0nic

You’re FAAAAST @symph0nicb7
I haven’t been to the forum for a looong time. My forum activity has sort of diminished to just managing comments on my YouTube videos and Instagram feed. How are you all doing!!! I hope you’re well. I suspect there’s a fair amount of people here that have been lucky enough to be amongst the first group of preorders of the OP-Z. I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do!

I’ve been beta testing it for a long time, and I’m so happy that it’s finally ready to be shipped out to people! If there’s anything in particular that you want me to cover, or answer, here, or in my next OP-Z video, please make yourself heard! Tag me so that I get the notifications and stuff. I’ll find time to join the forum more. <3

(edited to tag you - sorry I missed it my man)

Hey @cuckoo, thanks so much for the mega vid!

I have 1 quick question if I may?

Re importing sampled kits from OP1 to the OPZ. Are the sample start and end points for each region copied across from OP1 to OPz and can this be changed once inside the Opz?

On my OP1 I use a lot samples in the drum sampler that are 5 or 6 seconds long (one or two keys have majority of the sample on and then the remainder of the keyboard isn’t used). Will this work on the Z or does the Z auto map the regions within the sample?

Hope that makes sense

Cheers

@cuckoo please show midi functionalities. Does it support CC control and sequencing on all 16 MIDI channels? How about MIDI program change when you sequence external sound modules?

@nisiru said:
@cuckoo please show midi functionalities. Does it support CC control and sequencing on all 16 MIDI channels? How about MIDI program change when you sequence external sound modules?

It supports CC in from ext sources and pgm change both over USB midi out of the box. Each of the 16 tracks can also send or receive midi over USB. DIN midi will be available via a forthcoming module.

@cuckoo - that was epic! Thanks so much :slight_smile: I’ve tried not to get too emotionally invested in the Op-Z because, essentially, I’m broke hehe, but that little machine is actually a beast! Looks right up my street! No doubt one day I’ll join the club and get to participate in an Op-Z battle :wink:

@cuckoo - Great Video- I suspect I will be watching that a few times! How will the new modules be installed, whip out the 4 yellow base screws? Can you do a picture of this open?! I know you are also an expert OP-1 user, so are the engines borrowed from the OP-1 or newt? (I suspect all of the OP-1 engines and presets could be made available…)

I have my little yellow bag already (Why TE Why!!!) and await a delivery email in the UK!

@Domatron said:
Re importing sampled kits from OP1 to the OPZ. Are the sample start and end points for each region copied across from OP1 to OPz and can this be changed once inside the Opz?

Yes, the start end points (slices) are kept intact, and cannot be altered on the OP-Z currently.

… does the Z auto map the regions within the sample?

It will just copy over the OP-1 slice data and keep it like that. No auto mapping in this case.

@cuckoo said:

@Domatron said:

Yes, the start end points (slices) are kept intact, and cannot be altered on the OP-Z currently.

Not to steal your thunder (great tutorial btw!), but the start and end can be altered with the envelope. Of course, if you change the start point for example, it will change on all slices, but can be parameter locked to have different start points on different slices. That’s when the trig preview comes in super handy (c’mon Elektron, you can implement this!!)!

@yoof said:
…! Looks right up my street! …

We all live on the OP-Z street :slight_smile:
Thanks mate!

@SLiC said:
@cuckoo - Great Video- I suspect I will be watching that a few times! How will the new modules be installed, whip out the 4 yellow base screws? Can you do a picture of this open?!

Yeah you turn the yellow rubber screws 1/4 turn and remove the back plate where you can access the module compartment and the little “old cell phone style” 740mAh battery.

I know you are also an expert OP-1 user, so are the engines borrowed from the OP-1 or newt? (I suspect all of the OP-1 engines and presets could be made available…)

Some are borrowed and tweaked. Most noticeable the Digital, and perhaps Volt? Most engines are new though. I’m sure this is where we’ll be seeing a lot of work in the future. New special sound engines.

@sammyjams said:

@cuckoo said:

@Domatron said:

Not to steal your thunder (great tutorial btw!), but the start and end can be altered with the envelope. Of course, if you change the start point for example, it will change on all slices, but can be parameter locked to have different start points on different slices. That’s when the trig preview comes in super handy (c’mon Elektron, you can implement this!!)!

Ah, good clearance.
I’m thinking about the loop point on the Sampler synth. I think it’s fixed? No?

@cuckoo said:

@sammyjams said:

@cuckoo said:

@Domatron said:

Ah, good clearance.
I’m thinking about the loop point on the Sampler synth. I think it’s fixed? No?

I think you’re right about the synth sampler… Now I can’t seem to recall what the pg. 1 synth sampler parameters for blue and green do! i’m at work and my precious is at home :frowning:

Excellent video Cuckoo, you really made my day!

How well does it sync with the OP-1 in your opinion? I understand that it can do standard stuff like letting the OP-1 work as an external keyboard, syncing the midi clocks etc. But can you do ‘deeper’ stuff than that?

Something along the lines of being able to move tape loops back and forth on the OP-1 would be fantastic in live situations, but I guess that would require the OP-Z to be able to send a shift+arrow command over USB which might not be possible…

Thanks again, you’re so awesome!

omg (wow), the app looks sweet and little bit overhelming … this little machine will take som time to master … nice vid. looking fwd 2 some cuckoo Z packs!
Alt blir bra!

Thanks @cuckoo! This is really informative (as per usual!). Added this to https://www.opzed.com so our non forum friends can find it.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge @cuckoo - what an incredible in-depth tutorial on what you can do with the op-z. If that’s Level 1, I can’t wait for level 2. Now I’m even more keen to get my hand on the unit when it lands in Australia.

@Operator666 said:
Excellent video Cuckoo, you really made my day!

How well does it sync with the OP-1 in your opinion? I understand that it can do standard stuff like letting the OP-1 work as an external keyboard, syncing the midi clocks etc. But can you do ‘deeper’ stuff than that?

Something along the lines of being able to move tape loops back and forth on the OP-1 would be fantastic in live situations, but I guess that would require the OP-Z to be able to send a shift+arrow command over USB which might not be possible…

Thanks again, you’re so awesome!

With OP1 still in development via software updates, this feature alone would make the Op1/OPZ combo more sought after. I guess it all depends on how to midi tie that function to a button combo or assign CC values that when selected and a dial is turned a certain percentage change (green disc forward 50%) = Tape Loop marker adjustment forward/back. Maybe the OP1 “doesnt play well with others” title will morph now that it has a younger brother to mangle it?

@PLNB said:
With OP1 still in development via software updates, this feature alone would make the Op1/OPZ combo more sought after. I guess it all depends on how to midi tie that function to a button combo or assign CC values that when selected and a dial is turned a certain percentage change (green disc forward 50%) = Tape Loop marker adjustment forward/back. Maybe the OP1 “doesnt play well with others” title will morph now that it has a younger brother to mangle it?

I actually got it pretty much confirmed from a beta tester that there already is a “sync to tape” feature, but that the OP-1 is going to be master in that scenario. I haven’t learned much more than that and I don’t want to say who told me (just in case that feature is covered by the NDA) but… HOLY HELL! If this turns out to be true I will be SO HAPPY!

This is awesome to hear. You always wonder how these companies decide on what to connect the dots on for their related product line.