Route tape to element LFO?

Why can I select the microphone in the element LFO but not the ear? I would like to route the OP-1 sound output from tape to the element LFO to create a sidechaining effect.

eg. 4/4 beat on tape, playing the chords in synth with a filter effect that opens and closes depending on the beat. But can seem to get it done. Is it even possible? I can sample from tape so I should route that audio into the LFO right?

Many have tried. Probably the closest is using the tremolo with alternate shape, or feedback loop with splitter and cable. I don’t bother. I just side chain in Ableton and use op1 for other stuff.

if u set the master compression and your levels right u can get that pump/duck that rivals any true sidechaining setup w/o all the fancy routing.

@docshermsticks said:
if u set the master compression and your levels right u can get that pump/duck that rivals any true sidechaining setup w/o all the fancy routing.

So how would you set them? I have the master levels always full and drive about 30-40 and release 50 or 60 or something.
Why master levels? They just control the volume right? Do you set them lower?

Is there a tutorial on this somewhere?..or I’ll probably just try.

Thank you

its not an exact science, but basically like u wanna set the track that u have your ducking source (like your kick for example) higher than the rest of the mix.

this is so that the track (the kick) is the main thing that is triggering the compression the hardest.
(use the meters on the master page to guide)

then set your master level, compression, drive, release to taste.
(master level can also be thought of as a threshold control for the compression)
even use the EQ to dial in more or less frequencies.

the exact settings will differ from song to song depending on where all your sounds levels are at

i kinda prefer it this way than a traditional side chain setup. sounds more organic to my ears plus u can use any compressor to do this even if it doesn’t have a side chain input.

I find it a shame the Ear doesn’t trigger Element lfo.
Maybe coz it would be triggering itself resulting in modulation howl around. Seems like a bug, would love it to work as expected.