Maintaining tape slices when importing to Logic?

I know when I reload the tracks to the OP-1 from PC backup, the slices that separate the loops on “tape” are retained.

When I load those tracks into LOGIC, however, there are no slices to indicate cuts in the original tape. Makes things harder to export, obliging me to re-edit and re-slice.

Any idea how I can load the tape tracks into a desktop DAW (Mac), and retain these slices?

Thanks in advance.

The OP1 stores the slice information in a custom (edit: see below) data chunk at the end of the AIFF file of each tape track. As far as I know there is no code out there that processes these custom markers. I believe we’ve posted before on these data chunks, so it’s a question of someone sitting down and typing the code required…

@eesn said:
The OP1 stores the slice information in a custom data chunk at the end of the AIFF file of each tape track. As far as I know there is no code out there that processes these custom markers. I believe we’ve posted before on these data chunks, so it’s a question of someone sitting down and typing the code required…

That’s a shame.

Logic has a feature; just looked it up. “Import Marker From Audio File”.

I hope you’re wrong on this, and that TE used the standard protocol, and not a proprietary one.

Guess I’ll find out when I get home.

Thanks for the reply.

good news: I was wrong, the data is in a ‘regn’ chunk at the end of aiff files. see this and this.
and bad: neither Logic Pro, nor Audition, nor Sound Studio read them on my machine.

surely @yoof knows more.

Did you try the “import marker from audio file” command, w/ the file selected?

@Unflattered said:

yes

@eesn said:

@Unflattered said:

yes

Rats.

Is there any way to do this? I use Ableton, but would love some way to import where my tape segments/slices are… Does the opfun site do something like this???

@ludicrouSpeed said:
Is there any way to do this? I use Ableton, but would love some way to import where my tape segments/slices are… Does the opfun site do something like this???

The consensus seems to be no.

@Unflattered said:

@ludicrouSpeed said:

The consensus seems to be no.

Dayumn. Any workarounds?

I might start putting a 1 bar click before each new idea on my tape. This would make slicing old tapes later easier I think. Plus the @blezz tip of shouting ybr bpm into the tape during that bar. Combined = being kind to future self.

1 Like

no idea how hard this would be,
but i bet someone could create a bridge
between the standard .aif protocol and the one the op1 uses for slices

i never looked but i bet all the info u would need is in the header of any tape track .aif file.
similar to how the drum sampler .aifs have the slice info in the header of the file

@docshermsticks said:
no idea how hard this would be,
but i bet someone could create a bridge
between the standard .aif protocol and the one the op1 uses for slices

i never looked but i bet all the info u would need is in the header of any tape track .aif file.
similar to how the drum sampler .aifs have the slice info in the header of the file

Fingers crossed that our tape slice saviour descends from on-high. ?

1 Like

Whoever developed the tape backup on op1.fun has it figured out. Tape slices remain intact on the website GUI. I wish the developer would create a small-footprint app to import tape and allow export to individual wav files.

metadata on tape slices is inside the AIFF files.
what Ableton or Logic support is a whole other question though. any info on that?

@eesn said:
metadata on tape slices is inside the AIFF files.
what Ableton or Logic support is a whole other question though. any info on that?

I think it’s TE proprietary. Logic has an option to read marker data, but doesn’t work w/ the OP-1 files.

@Unflattered said:
Whoever developed the tape backup on op1.fun has it figured out. Tape slices remain intact on the website GUI. I wish the developer would create a small-footprint app to import tape and allow export to individual wav files.

Ooh cool! So there’s hope. Yeah, it would be awesome to export tape aslices to individual files with some naming convention to make sense of lining them up… Or even select a certain section on the website. Begs the question why TE don’t do something with this, but don’t get me started. I won’t fall into a den of negativity. Op1 4 lyf

this explains the standard .aiff protocol
http://muratnkonar.com/aiff/

marker chunk

Just an app that could convert the whole 6 min wavs to duplicate wavs w/ markers readable by major DAWs. That would be great.

yea thats what i was thinking @Unflattered
python has an .aiff package too
that seems like it might be helpful
can read markers but more importantly can set markers as well.
https://docs.python.org/2/library/aifc.html

It might be nice if TE had ONE SINGLE tech guy monitoring forums and Twitter to give clear and up-to-date answers to customers.

Small teams that make $40-$60 dollar video games have someone listening for comments, suggestions and bug reports.

If they can do it, why can’t the company that sells thousands of $900+ pieces of boutique hardware do that much?