Headphone (In-Ear) recommendations OP-1

Hi

I am sorry about the x-thousand thread about headphones. I was searching for in-ear headphone recommendations for the OP-1 as most threads in this forum are about over-ear headphones. I already have AKG K-240 Studio and Bose QC35 headphones at home but my apartment is located under the roof which means temperatures hit +30°C in summer (or +86 in freedom units) and its not fun to have big headphones on your head. Also for traveling i find in-ears more convenient (except for flights were I take my Bose headphones with me).

I know in-ears are not quite the best option due to the smaller driver but maybe some of you can share their experience. I thought about getting some in-ear monitors like the new Mackie In-Ear monitors series MP-120 (32ohm) / 220 (16 ohm) /240 (32ohm). http://mackie.com/products/mp-series But maybe there are cheaper options. :)

Cheers
Chris

Comments

• I use a Etymotic HF5 with a 75 ohm attenuator I picked up on eBay. It's probably like the Mackie. The headphone is very flat and true to the sound of the OP-1 except the bass doesn't have the weight of bigger headphones (common with single driver balanced armature IEMs). When I want the very best sound, I use a headphone amp too.

• @tumble2k said:
    I use a Etymotic HF5 with a 75 ohm attenuator I picked up on eBay. It's probably like the Mackie. The headphone is very flat and true to the sound of the OP-1 except the bass doesn't have the weight of bigger headphones (common with single driver balanced armature IEMs). When I want the very best sound, I use a headphone amp too.

Thanks I will take a look at the Etymotic headphones. Which kind of attenuator do you use? Didn't know you can get those for headphones aswell...I only knew them from cable/sat installations. :) I am pretty sure I will need one of those too as most of the IEMs impedances are around 16-32 ohm. I read somewhere around here that about 80 ohm are ideal for the OP-1.

• It’s not actually an attenuator. Sorry for the misinformation. If you look on eBay for Etymotic Resistor Adapter you will find the product I use. It looks like a 1/8 inch plug.

The HF5 and HF3 have pretty good BA drivers, and they’re good enough for me right now. Single driver BA IEMs are an acquired taste. If you enjoy bass impact they are not the headphones for you, but if you like clear, articulate, accurate, and fast sound, the Etys and probably the Mackies are great.

On the Op1 the Etys are pretty revealing. I use it when programming patches. This way I’m not surprised when I play the patch on a different system.