Is a Monome 64 still worth in 2018?

Hi!

For many years a dreamed about having a Monome. Love the sounds made with it, the ethics and the design. However, it was always very hard to get one, with all the pre-order lists, high price, etc.

There´s a guy selling a Monome 64 (from the 2011/2012 batch) with a good price here (300 USD) in mint condition. However, is a Monome still worth in 2018? The apps appears to not be updated for some years now (but maybe they are just perfect as they are). The monome.org is focusing in new, more independent/computer-free hardware; and I´m not very much into using computers to make music - although the Monome apps don´t appears to be screen focused, which is my problem.

What do you think?

you can still use the 64 for all the new stuff as far as i know. the modular things and the new norns should all be compatible. there are some new-ish apps too i’ve seen. like sum and m4l things.

if u have max or m4l u could start making your own stuff too (which is the dope part of it imo)
pure data also.

all of the max apps and stuff are pretty much once u set it up you don’t have to look at the screen
just stare at the lights and jam away!

I got one about 2 years ago and sold it a year later. Was a 64 Greyscale. M4l and sum apps were really great, but there were some compatibility issues on the horion with app development happenine on new max platforms and sort of leaving the 64 behind. Atleast it seemed that way for me. I honestly wouldn’t recommend anything under a 128 grid, as with apps like Sum, you couldn’t control it 100% from the grid on a 64 and had to use the laptop for some functions which made me lose interest.

I’d still love a newer 128 or better yet 256, but I am not so good with development of my own apps or layouts.