The end of mutable DIY

I always wanted a shruthi. Sad they’re going out of production.

Seems like the shruthi may survive the axe.

Where did you hear this? Mutable Instruments is going out of business? Or just the DIY part and they will continue to make Modular stuff???

just a few of the DIY kits will be discontinued. Oliver posted about this on facebook.
Mutable is going strong, and that decision is actually , I think, a sign of good going. Shifting production focus.

It’s open hardware, so still doable, you just need to source the parts yourself (and come up with the PCB) . But still sad to hear this.

just a few of the DIY kits will be discontinued. Oliver posted about this on facebook. Mutable is going strong, and that decision is actually , I think, a sign of good going. Shifting production focus.

Ah cool! Haven’t used any of their instruments, but I am a fan.

These days you can etch a pcb quite easily in the comfort of your home.

Very powerful synth but kinda hard to work with.

not sure that etching a sweet low-tolerance double sided pcb is quite yet the domain of home production… it’s getting better every day though. glad i built one and stockpiled a second set of boards, though!

I’ll just leave this here. http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/10/15/groovesizer-tb2-sneak-preview/

Their website does say Shruthi is NOT being discontinued. I’d like it if Ambika came back, the person that introduced me to the OP-1 had one.

Lately I’ve been thinking there’s a real market for custom synths but not 100% DIY.

Imagine like a universal range of base units that let you “slot in” different types of filters, cards, boards etc without the need for electronics or DIY knowledge. You build the kind of thing you want.

Boards for the slots could even be open source so that other people could develop their own boards to slot in and sell them.

It is very “eurorack” but completely without the need for techy know-how :slight_smile:

You know, @spacetravelmadeeasy that sounds a lot like the Korg LittleBits synth (except they haven’t done different filters yet). Otherwise, open source and easy to build your own.

Yup, it would be in the same vain as the Korg LittleBits but a little less toy-like.

I’m thinking a wood-ended moog looking thing with the slots being like boards or euro-rack kinda things.

Something that looks the business, is affordable and most importantly expandable.

I think I read that Paia’s current 9700s series (Frac format) are pretty much SMD and boards already soldered. You just have to add the jacks/pots. So still some soldering know-how, but not like they used to be.

That sounds a lot like a hardware Diva or Thor @spacetravelmadeeasy