Is the OP-Z cool or does it suck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDUNNBL6CCY

So at about 3.30, One goes into the aspect which make the OP-Z great.

After about 2 months with one, I have to say this device is a definitive music sketchbook. You can knock out a good song base in about 30 minutes. You can tweak for hours after, having fun all the way.

Sound, I have not gotten it to do earth shattering Bass yet, but I have not really tried. Making the basic sounds have been more fun, and you end up being more creative. I have a hard time getting started with other tools. this is the fastest to get started I have found to date.

Based on that, I say ‘cool’. Sounds like just what I need.

like a hot cool suck on a hot summer day

Looks dope no question. It’s just the price…Feels like might be a bit of an ask for anyone that doesn’t have an iPad aversion…

$600
plus now you now have to pay for some of the features that were initially listed on the spec page…

@masterofstuff124 said:
$600
plus now you now have to pay for some of the features that were initially listed on the spec page…

What exactly do you mean? I know you have to have an apple metal compatible idevice to use the visual function but are there other components being separated?

@Mantastic0 we should start another thread to answer that question. CC: @dimi3

Vote for very cool.

it sucks

wait… it’s cool!

@drybones hahahhahaa. I agree

When I first heard that TE were bringing out a new device, I was really hoping the OP-Z would be a sort of “Super Pocket Operator”. I love my PO metal series but connecting them up when travelling is a pain and although they are each great little devices I prefer to have at least 2 together to get the depth of sound I like. Then you need to plug them into a recorder of some sort to record the track to. I was hoping for an all in one device with less limits on the number of simultaneous sounds in a durable housing that I could sling in a back pack.

I was ready to take the plunge and get the OP-Z if it retailed for £399 but I can’t justify the extra couple hundred for things like video sequencing and the such that I have no interest in. I also would like to use a screen (even if for only making things easier to understand while I learn to use it) but I only own Android devices and they have made no mention of supporting non-iOS phones/tablets as far as I have read.

I almost bought a used OP-1 on eBay the other week for £700ish but have been reading more and more reports of bits going wrong and, with TE seemingly unable to provide timely customer service, it’s a bit of a risk. Looks like I’m out for the OP-Z but hope they do make something like a Super Pocket Operator soon at a more “no-brainer” price point.

For me?

Ditch the DMX.
Ditch the CV.
Ditch the Unity integration.
Ditch the BYOS concept.

Sell it for £350.

Kerching… Instant no brainer. That superb sequencer married to a simple but flexible sound engine, keeping all that lovely portability without the added carbuncle of having to support IOS and at a much more friendly price point.

But that’s for me…

@apapdop said:
For me?

Ditch the DMX.
Ditch the CV.
Ditch the BYOS concept.

Sell it for £350.

Kerching… Instant no brainer. That superb sequencer married to a simple but flexible sound engine, keeping all that lovely portability without the added carbuncle of having to support IOS and at a much more friendly price point.

But that’s for me…

This! Cram that stuff into the modules they’ve spoken about so people can make the OP-Z what they want it to be but those of us who don’t need it don’t pay for it. At £350 I would pay £50 for a screen module.

Wonder how cpu heavy the app is and whether it’s an AUv3? Trying to imagine the workflow when using the app on the same iPad that I’m also using the opz with for sequencing other synths etc on. Not sure it’ll be smooth sailing… Which might mean using my phone for opz screen and iPad connected separately for midi input… Might get messy/non portable pretty quick for that kind of usage.

Would be sweet if they make a ‘sequencer only’ spin off with a screen. Would be instabuy…

@apapdop said:
For me?

Ditch the DMX.
Ditch the CV.
Ditch the BYOS concept.

Sell it for £350.

But that’s for me…

This! But wait… it may mean I am not the target here… Maybe I am just sad to see TE’s next big product is not made for me. I was so hopeful, the OP1 is the best piece of gear I know… I will have to wait another 10 years for maybe something I will be interested in :frowning:

Yeah, seems like they have a user in mind for this. One that wants to do live video stuff. Which is absolutely fine – there are plenty of things I don’t buy because it isn’t for me :slight_smile: But considering how most companies operate, I doubt there will be any sort of cheaper spin-offs or anything like that. I’ve made peace with it being $600, and I will just have to wait to decide whether it is worth that to me. For a similar amount of money, I’d consider the Digitone.

@GCF said:
Yeah, seems like they have a user in mind for this. One that wants to do live video stuff. Which is absolutely fine – there are plenty of things I don’t buy because it isn’t for me :slight_smile: But considering how most companies operate, I doubt there will be any sort of cheaper spin-offs or anything like that. I’ve made peace with it being $600, and I will just have to wait to decide whether it is worth that to me. For a similar amount of money, I’d consider the Digitone.

I had money saved up for the OP-Z, but decided to spend it on a Digitone instead. No regrets… yet!

@GCF said:

Yeah man, no big deal if it turns out it’s not a fit for me personally. Wish TE luck with it either way. Some cool, forward thinking angles going on with it.

Think what I’m looking for is maybe kind of niche - small, battery/bus powered, Bluetooth, deep sequencer for ipad/iPhone… This looked like it might fit the bill but is seeming overkill/mismatch for my needs.

But I’ll prob hit gas for it at some point, sounds like it’s gonna receive some hardcore on-going dev/updates :slight_smile:

@Callofthevoid aren’t there some really deep sequencer apps on iOS? Or have you not checked them out? I’ve looked but was waiting on actually spending more time making music on iOS.