PO-33 FX... Thoughts?

Hello everybody

I’ve been getting to know my PO-33 over the past couple of weeks and it’s as fun, inspiring and immediate as any other PO. But is it just me, or does anybody else feel that the FX are a little… meh? Maybe my ears have been spoilt by the Tonic and Speak FX, but i’m struggling to find musical uses for the KO FX. I like the two unison modes… but that’s really about it. It’s a shame, because on all the other PO’s, the FX played such an integral part on the end result, i’m feeling that on this one that you’ve got your sounds, the sequencer and that’s your lot.

To be fair, i’m working on mostly low bpm jams at the moment, maybe the FX work better on higher bpm pieces? Just wondering really, any other thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW, i really like the PO-33…

I agree, the 33’s effects are not the best. I guess the processing power needed for “real” effects would have been too much…sadly. If the effects would have been on point + resampling Roland would have been very angry :slight_smile:
I like the scratch effect too…but it gets boring after a while so I try to use it in moderation.
If used combined with the other PO-3X I don’t mind the lack of effects too much, as the other POs make up for it. At the moment I mainly use the Speak as a monosynth (speed turned all the way down)…it’s so nice! If I could wish for another PO though it would be a monosynth not based on speech synthesis.
But I guess we won’t get another run of POs anytime soon.

Damn I love these POs!

@RisingSon said:
I agree, the 33’s effects are not the best. I guess the processing power needed for “real” effects would have been too much…sadly. If the effects would have been on point + resampling Roland would have been very angry :slight_smile:
I like the scratch effect too…but it gets boring after a while so I try to use it in moderation.
If used combined with the other PO-3X I don’t mind the lack of effects too much, as the other POs make up for it. At the moment I mainly use the Speak as a monosynth (speed turned all the way down)…it’s so nice! If I could wish for another PO though it would be a monosynth not based on speech synthesis.
But I guess we won’t get another run of POs anytime soon.

Damn I love these POs!

I think the PO-35 Speak is a slice of mad genius.

And you’re right, always bear in mind that the PO’s do their thing using less CPU horsepower than a washing machine!!

Fingers crossed for more PO’s, i’m holding out for a chord/drone one…

My PO-33 doesn’t seem to record the Scratch effects the same way they sound while performed. Anyone else noticing that? I’m guessing it catches the samples differently live, than when it’s quantized to record.
Even so, I’m having a blast with this thing. Chewing up batteries! :smiley:

^ It seems that plock values are stored per step and linear interpolated on all POs.

bear in mind that the PO’s do their thing using less CPU horsepower than a washing machine!!

cant wait for their WO-12 & DO-16 series to drop next year, the washing machine made exclusively by teenage engineering

I was pretty underwhelmed with the effects in the PO-33 when it came :frowning: I’m thinking of getting a PO-35 to go along with it.

@shark42 said:

cant wait for their WO-12 & DO-16 series to drop next year, the washing machine made exclusively by teenage engineering

Oh man, I hope they’ll be stereo…

@iace said:
I was pretty underwhelmed with the effects in the PO-33 when it came :frowning: I’m thinking of getting a PO-35 to go along with it.

PO-33 + PO-35 = lots of fun

@shark42 said:

I can’t help but think of this

I’m pretty happy with the effects, they’re a bit more generic but that means that I won’t get sick of them as I did with the other POs I had.