Backing up a PO-33 K.O!

What are you using to back up to?
Can I use my iPhone 7plus or SE?
or Amazon Kindle Fire?
I want to know how to do it, what works best and what settings do you use?
How to restore a back up?
Is there any good way to manage back ups?
Anything I can do with the back up outside of keeping and restoring it?
And anything else related.
Thank you!

Hi @xim
That depends on if you have some kind of audio interface/line-in input on your devices. You canā€™t just record the backup with you microphone as far as I know.
I always use my Olympus LS14 recorder, with a cable connecting the POā€™s output to the Olympusā€™ line-in.
Then I first play a short bit of the beat I am backing upā€¦pauseā€¦then record the backup. That way I know what the backup contains. This helps a lot when you have 20+ backups in folder.

1 Like

I use an iRig, ($30 on Amazon) (with lightning to audio adaptor) to capture the data from my PO-33 to an iPhone. I also use it to capture recordings of each session using an app called AudioShare.

• iPhone is always with me
  • I can easily re-listen to a session
  • Easy to back up to Dropbox if needed

I find it works well since I can create folders for each session. Under each folder I capture all of the songs I can get from one group of samples.

Then I backup to the ā€œbackupsā€ folder and title that backup the same as the master folder for each session.

Iā€™ve started wiping my samples off each week to keep me from getting stale, knowing I can always go back if needed.

@avclub said:
I use an iRig, ($30 on Amazon) (with lightning to audio adaptor) to capture the data from my PO-33 to an iPhone. I

That adapter only creates a mono input (intended to hijack the iPhone microphone input). I understand backups have to be stereo signals. Have you confirmed this works by trying a restore?

@xim said:
What are you using to back up to?

PC with Audacity, no audio interface just the mic in.

what works best and what settings do you use?

Wav, stereo, 16 bit, 44100 Hz
FLAC also works.

How to restore a back up?

Write+Sound+Record on your K.O. then play the backup file. The source needs to be plugged into the POā€™s line in, you canā€™t do it from the microphone. Pay attention to always use stereo cables.

Is there any good way to manage back ups?

I think it depends on how you use your K.O.
I work on a ā€œsongā€ at a time and I make a backup when I feel itā€™s finished and I record the audio. Then I just rename the file to remember what it is and keep two copies in my hard drives.

Anything I can do with the back up outside of keeping and restarting it?

Play it very loud and annoy everyone!

I bought a Zoom H1 on ebay but it wasnā€™t in the condition described (and the delete key was broken) so I sent it back. Iā€™ve been trying to find something cheap that would work and the best option Iā€™ve found is this Digital Voice Recorder (Adokey). Yet to try it but it seems to have everything required (48khz 16bit stereo recording through line in) and would be good for storing samples on when on the move so they are not lost forever when a slot is overwritten on the PO-33.

The only reason I havenā€™t bought it yet is because Iā€™m not sure whether Iā€™d be better paying more for a Zoom H1 or Dascam DR-05 new as that would give me a higher quality device for recording samples on that can then be loaded into the Pocket Operatorā€¦

Thoughts?

The tascam Dr 05 is a great optionā€¦ It seems like the perfect companion to a pocket operator, although I admittedly havenā€™t tried any of the others except a cheap little Sony recorder that caused me to lose all my backupsā€¦the stereo Mikeā€™s are great and you can just plug right into a PO 33 or 35 and sample directly in ā€¦
I highly recommend itā€¦

Can you share a photo of the set up because Iā€™ve just gotten a route to and trying to load a drum kit through teenage engineeringā€˜s website, the fax machine sounding one, and itā€™s still showing me errors, so I think I might have it hooked up incorrectly