Site Question.... Please read and leave thoughts

So vanilla has a bunch of limitations. I have been running Disourse for the beta testing of the OP-Z.

I am thinking of moving the Operator-1 forum to the Disourse platform…

opinions?

Yes! I’d love that. Discourse is much better than Vanilla! That would be a great improvement for the community. For example, wiki-style editable posts for the tips and FAQ.

And I think you could import the old accounts and posts, right?

Let us know if you need any help with this!

Agree with @vehka

Disource is the platform that Elektronauts is built on isn’t it?

It’s a great forum platform. Looks good and works well.

i do like the minimalist look and style of it now for some reason…

but i’m all for the change if it means a better forum

I like the minimal look on my mobile.
Elekronaughts is just too busy,but that may also be the heavy traffic. But it is hard to navigate.
I also rock venerable os 's on my devices (don’t like constant upgrades/dates) so this plays into enjoying simplicity, load speeds and simply being able to access. (Philistine it’s true).

I think the default discourse mobile layout is as minimalistic and a bit more usable than vanilla. And the desktop layout is way more usable. Elektronauts is not the best point of comparison, since it’s a huge site. https://llllllll.co/ is an example of a site bit busier than operator-1, and http://forum.critterandguitari.com/ is an example of a site bit more quiet than this one.

There’s not a big difference in speed I think.

Also, Discourse allows for a lot of per user customization – for example, one could hide the battles or trades if not interested in them.

Ok, enough promoting Discourse I think! =)

I like the minimalistic look of this place, but happy to embrace the future too. The vibe of this place is the most important thing. As long as that carries over, I’m happy :slight_smile:

That’s a nice idea. I don’t really know discourse, but it seems very ergonomic and I like the minimalistic style !

Discourse would be great. I do like the minimal style.

I’m happy either way :slight_smile: not so helpful, but that’s the truth.

Meanwhile, over on the Ableton Forums, there is literally NO mobile version… What in the F?!

Good idea!
Would be great though if all the posts and users here could be imported to the new forum.
I guess users would be required to change/recreate their passwords, am I right?

Discourse is used for Elektronauts, Critter & Guitarri and Mutable Instruments, among others.
I really like such forum engine :slight_smile:

I agree to move to Discourse.

Discourse it’s nice!
+1

@wavi said:
Good idea!
Would be great though if all the posts and users here could be imported to the new forum.
I guess users would be required to change/recreate their passwords, am I right?

Most likely. We don’t store passwords, only hashes, so unless Discourse supports the Vanilla hashing algorithm we’d all have to reset them.

oh yea i didn’t think about migrating the old posts and stuff.

we already had to start over once i think

hopefully will be able to import the plethora of info that is on here easily…?

It seems like Discourse has the capability to import Vanilla, so thumbs up from me. I do feel like Discourse is a bit much out of the box, so I support keeping it as simple as possible.

+1 for Discourse. It’s is a treat for both admins and users.

I’m personally not huge on Discourse, but I gotta say Vanilla is my least favourite forum software from the user end. So I’m down.