Too much power to USB hub

So… in my haste a few weeks back I grabbed the wrong power cable for my USB hub and it seems to have destroyed everything attached to it. The hub doesn’t work, the Apple CCK doesn’t work and I’ve just realised that the USB data connection to my OP1 is screwed so I can’t connect as a disk or for USB MIDI. Does that sound likely? It still seems to charge ok.

What was the voltage difference between what you used and should have used? And was polarity the same or different?

I am not sure to be honest as I couldn’t find the original adaptor and the hub has long since been thrown out.

Is this the sort of thing that a new connector board could fix do you think? Or could it potentially be a bigger problem…?

I would need a close up picture of the front and back of the connector board to know whether the voltage regulator chip is on that board or somewhere else. But if all the devices that were plugged in at that time all no longer work, then they could have all been damaged by over-voltage or reverse-voltage. Hopefully it wouldn’t have trickled too far down the line if other chips received too high of voltage.

@ghostly606

not so long ago i had a usb hub fry a midi keyboard i valued a lot. so these things happen. sorry to hear.

The only powered USB hubs I use are the ones that are part of an external screen and use a generic power cord, not a PSU

I hope only the I/O board has been affected, so that you can change it easily.

I hope only the I/O board has been affected, so that you can change it easily.

That would be awesome. It is pretty easy to change, once you are able to get the part

The only powered USB hubs I use are the ones that are part of an external screen and use a generic power cord, not a PSU
Yes, me too in future!! :P
I would need a close up picture of the front and back of the connector board to know whether the voltage regulator chip is on that board or somewhere else. But if all the devices that were plugged in at that time all no longer work, then they could have all been damaged by over-voltage or reverse-voltage. Hopefully it wouldn't have trickled too far down the line if other chips received too high of voltage.

There are some close up photos of the front and rear of the board in this thread:

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1672/new-op1-connector-board

Any advice you have would be warmly welcomed! :smiley:

From the images of the board, it is hard to tell what might have been affected. If it is able to charge, but not passing data, then there must be something wrong with the chip(s) between the USB jack and the board that handles reading/writing data. Is everything other than USB data transmission ok? Like you can read and write to snapshots? Read/write tape and album?

is there a usb port check in the function test?

is there a usb port check in the function test?

There is. You can do a thorough test which includes it if you press Shift+3 on the Boot screen

Firstly, my OP1 completely passes the function test, including USB charging test although test 30 - connectivity, the OP1 doesn’t connect to my PC. Secondly, everything else seems to function as normal re recording to tape, saving to snapshots etc.

Dumb question : have you tried with an other cable ?

I hadn’t actually, but the cable worked perfectly with another controller (Nanokontrol 2).

Have just tried with another controller now though and can confirm that it charges ok but doesn’t connect as disk or a MIDI connection.

@ghostly606 just to confirm, 1 you have done the factory reset, 2 you’re using TE’s provided USB cable or another cable you know to be of high quality, and 3 plugging it directly into the computer on a port you’ve used successfully with the OP1 before?

1. No
  2. Yes (tried using multiple cables)
  3. Yes (tried on multiple computers)

Am reluctant to do factory reset as if I can’t fix it I at least want to have the user patches I’ve got on there. Will do it if there is a chance this would fix it.

If anyone has any old broken connector boards, I would love to analyze the circuit and create a schematic for it. It would certainly help with issues moving forward like this and others. If there is something that can be repaired about it, I would even do that before returning it to you :slight_smile:

*** Irony alert! ***

I had a spare (mic input wasn’t working) but threw it out not that long ago.

Grrrrrr

If evidence were needed that Operator-1 is the greatest forum on the interweb, not 1 but 2 fellow operators have offered to send me spare connector boards so I can test. Thanks @jazzmess and @houtson, you guys rock!