PO-33 recording quality and sampling method

Hi all,
I am really having a blast with these PO-33, at the point I barely use anything else to make some music.
I just have some question : are you happy with the recording quality ? I am well aware it’s 8 bit, and like the crunchy sounds from it. But I find that some sounds - and most often bass sounds are polluting the rest of the track, and it doesn’t sound good in the end. It gives a mushy feeling i really dislike.
Of course, I’m quite sure this is due to user error, but I would like to have your input on proper recording on this device. How would be the best way (interms of volume management) to sample ?
Thanks !

Have you experimented with the filter for this? I like to keep my kick drum on a separate track (sound) from the other drums and use the filter to reduce the muddiness. Combined with dialing in the volume (after recording) this can help a lot.

No didn’t try, this is a great idea.
Volume wise, I am recording the source as loud as I can without clipping, and I then adjust the volume. But you seem to say it would be better to record rather low and adjust the volume parameter afterwards ?
Thanks !

No didn't try, this is a great idea.
Volume wise, I am recording the source as loud as I can without clipping, and I then adjust the volume. But you seem to say it would be better to record rather low and adjust the volume parameter afterwards ?
Thanks !

Exactly. I record with the signal maybe about halfway depending on how noisy the source is. Here’s a little ep I recorded using only the PO-33 straight into Ableton for some inspiration :slight_smile:

Mini Moves | Hot Science

saw your posts on reddit, this def rocks :wink:

Anyway, will try this !

I like to keep my kick drum on a separate track (sound) from the other drums and use the filter to reduce the muddiness.

This is an excellent idea, thank you.

@sammyjams said:
No didn’t try, this is a great idea.
Thanks !

Exactly. I record with the signal maybe about halfway depending on how noisy the source is. Here’s a little ep I recorded using only the PO-33 straight into Ableton for some inspiration :slight_smile:

Mini Moves | Hot Science

Wow just checked that out it sounds amazing! How much did you have to process the sound in Ableton? Production quality sounds so much better than anything I’ve heard out of the Po-33 so far. Of course the beats are great, that helps!

@sketcherazzi thank you! I just did some “mastering” (compression, eq, dynamics) in ableton, but not much. PO did all the heavy lifting ?