Already have an OP-1: Digitakt or Digitone?

I know they’re different beasts, but I’m undecided between the two.

Does having the OP-1 fill my sampling needs?

Of course the Digitakt seems more versatile being a sampler and got a great sequencer too.

On the other side I don’t like really much the onboard synthesis engines of the TE’s unit and I like the ambient & chiptune sounds that I heard out of the Digitone.

Argh!

Bear in mind you may hanker after stereo sampling.

Depends on your sampling needs. My Octatrack and OP-1 together have mine covered, though I may add the new sampling Pocket Operator for fun. I’m not really big on using samples for drum beats or trying to fool people into thinking I have a real orchestra - both of which are other common use cases for sampling.

For my own use cases, the Digitone is a better fit.

Been seeing people selling octatrack mki for around £650 on elektronauts.com. Maybe worth considering too? Big memory card full of Stereo samples, sample chains and Single cycle waveforms with 2 insert fx + 3lfo per track + scenes/fader, timestrech and slicing is a lot of ammo for sound design and performance… Tempo divisions per track too. Which I often wish my Ak sequencer had… Not a big deal for some people but I always find it handy for long chord progressions without using the chain/microtiming workarounds used on the other elektron boxes.

Been seeing people selling octatrack mki for around £650 on elektronauts.com. Maybe worth considering too? Big memory card full of Stereo samples, sample chains and Single cycle waveforms with 2 insert fx + 3lfo per track + scenes/fader, timestrech and slicing is a lot of ammo for sound design and performance... Tempo divisions per track too. Which I often wish my Ak sequencer had.. Not a big deal for some people but I always find it handy for long chord progressions without using the chain/microtiming workarounds used on the other elektron boxes.
You’re absolutely right, but the Octatrack’s UI it’s too much intimidating for me.

I have both the Digitakt and Digitone

Digitakt:
Fun and creative sampling, possible to make full tracks that sound great.
Note:
Inputs sum to MONO so op1 doesnt sound great running through it unless you are ok sampling MONO from op1, but op1 tape tracks are MONO anyway so not a huge deal.
No FX on input

Digitone:
Sounds amazing and is very inspirational to work with.
Only 4 tracks but not a real big issue.
Has stereo inputs and FX on inputs which is nice with op1.

If I only had 1 to pair with the OP1 its actually hard to say which one I would pick. They are both great and fun in different ways.

Sorry not much help…

Yeah OT can be quite a hardcore introduction to Elektron. Pretty steep learning curve in that scenario.

DT and DN are both cool boxes, can’t really go wrong with either + your op1:) Guess just ask yourself whether you feel op1 is lacking for you most often in sampling or in synths?

I’d personally probably say I find op1 lacking most as a sampler? Purely in terms of storage/browsing/flexibility when compiling kits. But hard to say for sure… very different pros and cons on both DT and DN. Elektron is initially pretty addictive and you’ll probably buy both in the end so maybe just grab whichever one you can find best deal for :wink:

I actually bought both recently and ended up returning the Digitone, which was surprising because the Digitakt only fell on to my radar after I saw the DN and thought it looked cool. For me, the form factor of the DT just makes sense, whereas I found myself feeling like I was fighting the DN - I just don’t think the elektron sequencer is the most intuitive interface for making melodies.

That said, the DN did sound really nice. But after that experience, I’m looking in the complete opposite direction now at something like a 0-coast or mother 32.

@skoomsy I have a midi keyboard attached to the Digitone, but not always. I find it quite interesting building up the chords with the moveable little add key graphics.
Add the arp designer and chord modes to that and loads of cool stuff to explore :slight_smile: but yes the Digitakt is awesome too

Mother32 would be a nice companion to the Digitone

That’s a tough call…I actually have all 3, but if I had to pick I might go with the Digitakt because as mentioned above by @callofthevoid, the sampling on the OP-1 can be a little limited, and you can make the Digitakt into a synth of sorts with the single cycle waveforms…which makes it pretty diverse.

My vote is to get both though, because the Digitone is pretty awesome :slight_smile: