Controlling Ableton Live

Hi people! I’ve been trying to use my op-1 as an ableton controller. I’ve dowloaded and installed the script, selected the correct midi preferences, re-started ableton, put the op-1 into control mode… but when I restart ableton, I understand that the op-1 should change screen into an ableton control screen… but mine doesn’t? I’m obviously doing something wrong… but can’t suss what it is? Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

I haven’t tried this yet, but interested… Can you control the transport speed like tape? ie. by speed matched to semitones if you use re-pitch for the warp mode?

PS. There is a custom ableton script lurking around if you search the forums… Not sure if it is compatible with 10, or whatever though.

There is transport control within the script, but I’m not sure yet how it works as I haven’t been able to get the op-1 to switch into the ableton control screen!! I’m searching hard to try and find out why though…

Man I found the problem, it was with the script I had downloaded. I don’t know why but the one I had originally sourced just weren’t doing it, I searched and searched and found an alternate which is now doing exactly what I’m after

Man I found the problem, it was with the script I had downloaded. I don’t know why but the one I had originally sourced just weren’t doing it, I searched and searched and found an alternate which is now doing exactly what I’m after

That’s awesome that you got it working!

Would you mind sharing it? I have a push, so limited need for op1, but if I could treat Ableton like the op1 tape in the way it adjusts tape speed by semitones, it would open up some pretty wild possibilities.

It would be awesome if you could share a link! I have the exact same problem you had with the “official” TE script.

i am also having this problem (Ableton Live 10 Intro with the “official” script…) Please post a link to the script that works?

I sent @Benny an inbox message. Hopefully he can hook us up :slight_smile:

Right what i’ll do peoples is attach the script I found which works as I trawled through so many pages to get the right one I’m not sure which page was correct in the end!! Bear with i’ll Fire up now and try and attach it here.

https://github.com/teenageengineering/op-1-ableton-live-control-surface/find/master

try this guys, I said i would insert the file… but its a folder and won’t let me. In honesty I don’t think this was the right one. Just message me and I will put it in my google drive and you can lift the file from there, least you know you will get the working script. God I’m a damn nightmare lol sorry!
https://github.com/teenageengineering/op-1-ableton-live-control-surface/find/master

try this guys, I said i would insert the file... but its a folder and won't let me. In honesty I don't think this was the right one. Just message me and I will put it in my google drive and you can lift the file from there, least you know you will get the working script. God I'm a damn nightmare lol sorry!

Thank you so much for taking the time to search for the file!

However this was the file that wasn’t working for me, I think they never managed to make it compatible with Live 9 on this version of the script.

After a bit of searching I found the working script:
https://github.com/pcppcp/op1
Also this is the original thread where the User popcorp wrote that he updated the script.

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3302/update-of-the-control-surface-script-for-live-9

Well done, sorry I posted the wrong one again, I was trying to follow my history back where I was on the hunt and still managed to pick the wrong one out

For people who are still having trouble getting it to work with Ableton 10:

1. download from GitHub here: https://github.com/pcppcp/op1
  2. Remove any dashes “-” from the downloaded folder name, I just renamed mine to “op1”
  3. Just follow the instructions from the GitHub page from here:

INSTALLATION

Please note that folders in the “MIDI Remote Scripts” folder must not contain dashes. Otherwise python will fail to import the module.

Mac OSX

Right click on Live App bundle and click “Show Package Contents” Navigate to “Contents\App-Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts” Drop OP-1 folder into MIDI Remote Scripts Folder

Windows
Look for Ableton Live executable file Look for the folder MIDI Remote Scripts Drop OP-1 folder into MIDI Remote Scripts Folder

Finalize
Go to Ableton Live MIDI preferences Choose OP1 Control Surface

It turns out Python is not able to work with files in folders that have Dashes in their name.

Hope it works out for you!

All of you are amazing! I just upgraded to Live 10 and after a nightmare situation w/ my OS needing to be re-installed (not Live’s fault) I found myself w/out the script. Thank you all so much for helping me sort this out!

FYI, if you’re having trouble midi mapping don’t forget to turn "remote"on regarding the midi port input. GL!!

Does this still work with Live 10?

I’ve go this going with Live 11, but the OP-1 screen just stays on the ‘CTRL’ page (=the standard SHIFT+OPT page).

Are there any fully functional scripts around?

Cheers

Stew