Should I buy my wife a korg prologue?

Hey y’all,

What do y’all think of the Korg Prologue? Plz see below for why I’m asking…

It’ll be interesting to see more of what this ‘open source’ digital synth stuff is supposed to be in the Korg Prologue. There’s quite a bit of speculation. After seeing what the community has done with the Organelle and with how some of the Mutable Instruments module code has spread to Max, PD, Organelle, and VCV Rack, I’m starting to be more optimistic about that future as those instruments are still usable in a real, tangible, purchasable thing (not something I have to build and solder myself, nor have to find someone to do it for me).

I think the good next generation of stuff is going to come from the next generation of companies. It’s why I’m keeping an eye on Synthstrom Audible and Tasty Chips (whose ST4 tracker looks very interesting as an Elektron box alternative; and whose new GR1 granular box looks very interesting) and Modor.

It’s almost too much stuff! I know I’m overwhelmed with all that I’ve picked up in the past few weeks and that’s before the Digitone came along.

I think it and my new Modor NF-1m are going to be a killer combination - the Modor adding an additional 8 voices, lots of noise and additive options, a comb filter, and the formant filter; combining with the sequencing and effects and all the voices of the Digitone. It’s going to be a blast! And still be playable on the sofa.
Hi buddy, I pinched this quote from the digitone thread, I thought it was too OT to respond in line, so started a new thread…

I was at my local DJ store today, buying a case thing for my push 2, and my wife happened to join me… She chucked some headphones on while I was waiting to be served and tried out the Prologue on display… Anyway, she fell in love, and it’s the first musical item she has ever expressed interest in getting in the 6-7 years I’ve known her (she is a beautiful singer, and it’s a crime against the world that she doesn’t pursue music more than she does, but enough about that)…

I was wondering what you think of the prologue, it seemed quite nice to me, ie. nice presets, deep patches, cool little waveform display, wooden cheeks… But I understand it’s an 8 voice version, and it’s going for like $2,000 AUD, + I’ll need to cop a case… No polyphonic aftertouch, etc… But my wife is more of a player who will find a patch, and just use it, she won’t tweak params, or ever necessarily use the polyphonic aftertouch if it was there… Anything to say about the prologue? I’d really love to buy it for her, I just wanna check there isn’t a way better alternative. <3 I will do my own research beyond this post, I just like to keep my precious OP community in the loop :stuck_out_tongue:

Holy crap, I’m watching this vid on my MBP speakers right now, and it’s blowing my mind. I don’t own an analogue synth… I want it for meeeeeee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RY1gvTAw_Q hahahaaa

"Sorry Chels… I’m using it right now"

The real question is - 8 or 16 voice…

& of course, is there a cooler/wiser alternative.

this is pretty cool.

only other synth i could think of was Novation Peak but it has no keybed. 16 voice prologue is larger, no?
this is pretty cool.
only other synth i could think of was Novation Peak but it has no keybed. 16 voice prologue is larger, no?

Yeah, I realised after posting, the 16 voice has more keys, so bigger size… I think 8. Voice will be ok?

this is pretty cool.

A close examination of the specs says the LF Comp panel, and Voice Spread knob are only on the 16-voice. From what I understand, these params can be edited on the 8-voice, but you need to menu dive a bit instead of being able access them from the front panel.

Correction: The LF Comp w/ VU meter is only available on the 16-voice.

this is pretty cool.

A close examination of the specs says the LF Comp panel, and Voice Spread knob are only on the 16-voice. From what I understand, these params can be edited on the 8-voice, but you need to menu dive a bit instead of being able access them from the front panel.

Thanks mate. I don’t actually know what those are. Low frequency compression? Does voice spread have to do with panning, or maybe keeping preset minimum amounts of voices in specific octave ranges or something?

My wife will probably never adjust those controls anyway, but if I’m having a fang on it, sounds like something I’d reach for haha.

Correction: The LF Comp w/ VU meter is only available on the 16-voice.

Thanks for the info. She tried the 8 voice instore, and she was happy, that’s the size that’s works best too. Ie. Big enough, but not huuuuge.

Interesting to note the differences though… Only an extra $900 for the 16 voice.

According to Emusician, Voice Spread is a panning kind of thing:

https://www.emusician.com/gear/review-korg-prologue-polysynth

Yeah, LF Comp is a low-end booster/compressor and it’s analog.
According to Emusician, Voice Spread is a panning kind of thing:
https://www.emusician.com/gear/review-korg-prologue-polysynth

Yeah, LF Comp is a low-end booster/compressor and it's analog.

Oooh, that sounds tasty! & VU’s are really fun too!

Thanksyou!

PS. That link talks about “random” mode for voice spread / panning, it sounds real nice :slight_smile: