Recording to OP-1 in real time using FX pedal?

I’ve reviewed the following threads addressing this and I’m still confused on how/if this can be done:

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1647/effect-loop-resample-with-op1
https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3171/running-op-1-through-pedals
https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1994/external-effects

Here’s the set-up:

OP-1 (starting with a blank tape; i.e. no pre-recorded tracks);
FX pedal (ex. mono-in, mono-out);
Headphones (for monitoring fx and playing/recording in “real time”); and
Relevant cables/splitters

Is it possible to hook this up in such a way that I can record to tape in real time while (a) being able to monitor everything through headphones, and (b) avoiding a feedback loop? To better explain, I’d like to beginning playing/recording with the metronome through headphones, then upon hitting the input/microphone button have whatever I’m playing be immediately modified by the FX pedal (which would already be engaged and set to certain parameters).

Essentially, I’d like to use the input/microphone button on the OP-1 just as a guitarist would use the stomp button on an FX pedal; however, everything would be recorded to OP-1 tape live/on-the-fly.

Is this possible? If so, could you please explain what cables/splitters I would need and how to hook them all up?

Thanks!

If you’re recording from an external source ie. using the OP-1 simply as a tape, then this is certainly doable… You won’t be able to use fx on the way into the tape though…

I recorded this whole track was recorded into the OP-1… The vocals & guitar… The synth is cluster (op1), the drums are drum sampler… All FX are internal, except for in the first verse, I re-sampled the vocal track through my nintendo DS homebrew sampler, into flux play app on my iphone, back into tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOLwxsWMlbY

Right, thanks for the reply! I’m effectively wanting to use the OP-1 as an “external source” for itself just by way of first routing it through an fx pedal.

I know this makes an output --> input loop for the OP-1 which will feedback on itself unless certain things are able to be muted, but I was hoping the community had some unorthodox solution that I’m just not thinking of.

Adding a looper pedal into the chain and then recording to tape using the fx-applied loop as the external source would work, but it’s cumbersome for getting timing right on the tape, and takes away from the real time/live recording I’d like to do (i.e. loop time limits).

Anyone else have ideas? You can get so many great sounds/moments using the OP-1 into a pedal. It would be great to be able to record those directly to tape without having to first record them to an external source (aforementioend looper pedal, high quality audio recorder, etc…).

the answer is in the diagram in the posts you link to.

i’m not sure u will be able to use the mic button as a toggle tho.

if your external FX has its own bypass, then i would just use that.
or if it doesn’t, u could get a true bypass box and stick your FX in its fx loop and bypass it that way.

most (prolly almost all) pedals have a stomp switch to bypass.

@docshermsticks

Thanks for your response (and the diagram). I’ve looked at the diagram a fair bit and guess I am confused by the terminology of “return track” vs. "track sent to fx unit."

In my example above, I am starting with a clean slate (nothing recorded on the OP-1 tape). So, if I invest in a 3.5mm TRS to 2x TS mono cable and want to begin “live” recording on Track 1 (with the option to flip the fx on at any time during my live play/recording) how should I proceed?

Pan Track 1 one direction and Tracks 2-4 in the other direction? Wouldn’t this still open me up to feedback since Track 1 is unmuted and “open” to the OP-1 output and input at the same time?

I’m ordering the above mentioned cable now so I can start experimenting, but any more details on exactly how to hook-up and pan are appreciated.
ah yea i see now. my example works when u are working with stuff u have already recorded to tape

i'm not sure how u would get around that...

u need to select the "return" tape track in order to monitor and record
but live op1 would get sent thru that track pan to your monitor and not the ext. fx.

if u select a different track u can't monitor or record and u would get feedback too i think.

thats a tricky one.

so looks like if u record to tape first, my diagram will totally work for you.
otherwise not exactly.
If you're recording from an external source ie. using the OP-1 simply as a tape, then this is certainly doable... You won't be able to use fx on the way into the tape though...

I recorded this whole track was recorded into the OP-1... The vocals & guitar... The synth is cluster (op1), the drums are drum sampler... All FX are internal, except for in the first verse, I re-sampled the vocal track through my nintendo DS homebrew sampler, into flux play app on my iphone, back into tape.

Great Listen, good job. You can record right to tape, awesome. Can you multi track with the tape as well?
If you're recording from an external source ie. using the OP-1 simply as a tape, then this is certainly doable... You won't be able to use fx on the way into the tape though...

I recorded this whole track was recorded into the OP-1... The vocals & guitar... The synth is cluster (op1), the drums are drum sampler... All FX are internal, except for in the first verse, I re-sampled the vocal track through my nintendo DS homebrew sampler, into flux play app on my iphone, back into tape.

Great Listen, good job. You can record right to tape, awesome. Can you multi track with the tape as well?

Thanks so much!

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean, you can record to one track at a time.

Yeah, to be honest I wasn’t sure how to ask. How about this, can you monitor playback while recording to tape?

Yeah, to be honest I wasn't sure how to ask. How about this, can you monitor playback while recording to tape?

Yeah! It works really intuitively, just shift + mic button to select input source, and then adjust red in tape screen, there is a seperate gain in the shift + mic screen too… :slight_smile: I find an external mic works best, you can get better clarity, and more gain with a bit less noise… It needs to be self powered, I use a zoom h1, nice a lil and handy… The internal mic is great if that’s all you got though…

FYI this track I had master drive at 60, release at 30 with super duper low input levels to tape to begin with, so I could have max headroom… Much more hiss, but I kinda like the hiss TBH

Awesome, Thank you.

Very welcome.