Korg SQ-1, anyone use one?

I’m looking to get a couple semi-modular analogue desktop synths, at a glance, the SQ-1 looks decent enough (and decently priced) to get some interested sequences going via CV.

Anyone already do this? Looking for views on it. Cheers.

I had one for my 0-Coast (both gone now). The different sequence modes are really cool and the small price/footprint/battery power option are great. My main problem was that it only sequences in whatever key your osc is tuned to. Or chromatic, of course. That made it unusable for live shows for me, since various “songs” were all in different keys. It wasn’t possible for me to tune the 0-Coast osc on the fly and make it work.

It’s really fun for quick inspiration. I do not find it useful for any live application.

What about using the Arturia Beatstep Pro? I’ve heard good things about that unit.

What about using the Arturia Beatstep Pro? I've heard good things about that unit.

@mrclean One of my bandmates uses one for his Rave-o-lution. It’s super-fast and really versatile. He also uses it on his home modular. If I didn’t have an Octatrack, I’d want one for my 0Coast and Minitaur.

nice little thing, great if you sequence modulation. rather than pitches just see it as a CV source going to LFOs, resonators, etc.

The Beatstep Pro is great but I can pick up an SQ-1 For half the price. Plus that all I can spare at the minute :smiley:

If I can use the SQ-1 as a master clock to a couple of synth which I can control pitch/gate and modulation, I’ll be happy.

the sq1 is surprisingly powerful. Its a great controller for a rack. I especially like just using the pads as a keyboard by jumping steps without the sequencer running. you can also tune in this way making it a pretty good keyboard controller. it can be used in numerous ways which to me is its best feature.

Been thinking of getting an SQ1 myself, to feed CV to my Lyra-8.

I also have an MS-20 Mini so there’s that logical fit as well.

Don’t really need anything more complicated than that at the moment.

Will the glide feature work on analogue gear too?

I use two of them. One for the Intellijel Atlantis and one for the Microbrute. They work great when you let them be clocked by ext. Clock. You can use the MIDI input for this. Use a sync cable to Connect both the SQ1’s. Also using them as a keyboard is a powerful feature. Although I have aan Octatrack, I stil use the two a lot because of the ease of use.

I had one for my 0-Coast (both gone now). The different sequence modes are really cool and the small price/footprint/battery power option are great. My main problem was that it only sequences in whatever key your osc is tuned to. Or chromatic, of course. That made it unusable for live shows for me, since various "songs" were all in different keys. It wasn't possible for me to tune the 0-Coast osc on the fly and make it work.

Why you sold the 0-Coast, mate? I sold all my semi-modulars last year, but I´m missing patching a little and was thinking about the Zero.

I got an SQ-1 in a bundle with another synth, which basically got me the SQ-1 for really cheap. I don’t do much CV stuff right now but I like having a simple battery operated MIDI sequencer I can use for noodling and playing with sounds on some of my desktop synth units. I really like the random features and the ‘CV Duty Random’ mode which the top row is notes/frequency, bottom row is basically gate length, and it jumps around between them.

It’s a really solid little unit too. Works nicely on its side too so you could easily place it on top of a Eurorack case or use it on the table top.

It’s also nice that it’s got the Korg / clock sync stuff. Makes it easy to grab a Pocket Operator for quick drums in a small setup.

Cheers guys for the feedback. I’ve now ordered one.

So, I got it and it is crazy good. I’m using CV to control a Model D. I live Active Step on this.

One problem I’m having is trying to stay dawless and trying to get the SQ-1 and OP-1 in sync. I attempted to tempo tap to the beat of the SQ-1 but it’s not quite there.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

that happens because there’s no visual bpm indication on the sq1 so monkey-sync won’t work. you could slave one to the other, or you could slave both to a midi clock… e-rm for instance would happily sell you (an expensive) one just for that purpose.

I use two of them. One for the Intellijel Atlantis and one for the Microbrute. They work great when you let them be clocked by ext. Clock. You can use the MIDI input for this. Use a sync cable to Connect both the SQ1’s. Also using them as a keyboard is a powerful feature. Although I have aan Octatrack, I stil use the two a lot because of the ease of use.

@marijn

Midi input? … you mean via usb?

@speckdrum sry my bad. i use the midi out of the sq-1 to clock the tr8. so no ext clock. after that I figure out what the bpm’s are.

The SQ1 is a great little sequencer which doesn’t have too much bells 'n whistles.

Do you have some volca’s, than it’s especially good, because it’s a great way to sync those as well.

Syncing to the OP1 dawless can only be done by sacrificing 1 tape track on the op1 and panning tht all the way left and pan all other channels all the way right. Now you can use the left channel to make a sync click track which you can feed into the SQ1 sync input… It’s quite a big sacrifice though…

Here’s a video I made some time ago with my SQ1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLtQR6nWeM4

@dsil303 You can of course just use the PO sync mode on the OP1 which sends out a click track hard panned.