My buddy spilt wine on my OP1 now I’ve noticed that my keys double/triple click

Is this a problem with the keyboard or is it in the motherboard? If I got a new keyboard from I fix it would that fix it?

hmm id wait for some other comments on the subject, maybe even msg TE. But when you take off the button assembly I would clean the shit outta all the circuit boards with IPA 90%+ and a tooth brush and then allow to dry. Also avoid any electrolytic caps if you do this. Im curious to hear others opinions on the matter but this is what I would do. After consulting this board ofcourse! Good luck!

I vaguely recall there is a tray sorta piece of plastic seperating the circuits from the buttons maybe that caught it all? If the op1 is still wet Id stick it in dry raw rice before powering on this will absorb the water.

@masterofstuff124 I’ve popped the keys off and cleaned up any moisture which wasn’t a lot, as soon as it happened I flipped it and we tried to get it all up it seems the tray thing under the keyboard got all it not most of it so I think it might be the keyboard but I want to make sure before I get a new keyboard

if u are comfortable, i would try the cleaning route first.

maybe u didn’t actually damage anything and its just some gunk/residue causing the keys to stick, double trig.
spilt wine is very sticky i’d imagine.
but should clean right up with some 90% or higher alcohol or electronics cleaner like deoxit

if u are careful and comfortable poking around a lil bit, u might be able to save yourself the $$$

the keyboard replacement is out of stock at ifixit.com, so its maybe unlikely you’d get a replacement super quickly either way.

still friends?

Yep, cotton tips and alcohol (not the wine-kind) and clean that sucker up. Sounds like classic sticky contacts (had to do this on my Nord after a beer spill). Put that baby in a container of rice (uncooked) overnight once you are done

Find a less clumsy friend to hang around your Op1, it’s paying the bills bro!

@millbastard @docshermsticks I’ve cleaned them thoroughly and still noticing it :frowning:

still friends?
Yes still friends she was offering to buy me a new one if it didn’t turn (didn’t want to take advantage of that), now she wants to buy me a new keyboard so I’m tryin to make sure it’s the keyboard and not the board under the keyboard

Oh man, it’s like an exaggerated version of the usual reaction that people have to the op1.

Person: “that looks cool, what is it!?”

Me: “briefly explain op1, while forcing myself to not go into too much detail, or get carried away with fanning out

Person: “wow, great. How much does it cost?”

Me: “like $1,400 AUD or so”

Person: “…”

I can only imagine how much more awkward it was for you. I hope you get it all better!

@ludicrouSpeed well she knew the price and knows it’s my life, I think she was more worried than me. When I was takin the keys off it was like a surgery everyone was gathered around helping any way they could lol

@ludicrouSpeed well she knew the price and knows it’s my life, I think she was more worried than me. When I was takin the keys off it was like a surgery everyone was gathered around helping any way they could lol

Oh my gosh, sounds so intense!

Yeah, sending all my “get well soon” vibes for your little Opie

Sorry to hear that… it’s very likely just the keyboard if you flipped it quick. These types of keyboards have thin plastic membrane caps that make the electrical contact. Liquid can get into these caps and takes ages to dry causing false presses etc. Wine will also dry sticky so they might also just be sticking in the wrong position.