Battle 52 - Voting thread

Ok, battle 52 is now closed for entries!

Thanks so much to everybody who has submitted a track. I applaud you all for getting out of your comfort zones, taking on the spirit of the battle and creating some amazing music. Personally, I’ve wanted to switch off those grid markers for ages (as an experiment, to see what would come of it), but needed a little safety in numbers and a battle scenario to do it I guess :slight_smile: As others have mentioned, it made me think about my track in a completely different way, and not just about workarounds, it really freed me up to do something different.

So, we have 15 tracks, more than 53 minutes worth of music.

- Voting is open to everybody (not just the participants).
- Voting is for a track, not a person.
- Each forum member gets a single vote.

Battle 52 by - ohpeewon battles - | Free Listening on SoundCloud

My track is not eligible for voting, but I just chucked it in there for completeness.

Let’s close voting at end of day on 28th February. Voting open!

Your hosts, yoof and quarantequatre

Sorry for naivety, this is my first battle. How do we vote?

Good question, haha, my first time too… Should I change my track name to something more identifiable?

Oh sorry, I should have explained. You just state the name of the track that you’d like to vote for in this thread, eg “I vote for track 123 by artist ABC!”. In a week’s time, I’ll count up the votes and declare the winner.

Sometimes, when voting, people write some nice comments about a few of the tracks that stuck out for them and then make their vote. So feel free to also use this thread to discuss and give some feedback, but don’t feel pressured to do so.

OK il go first as nobody seems to be voting! Haha.

I vote for Insomnia by Rudolf Rapid.

Very hard choice but it sounds like a very similar process was used to my track. It’s very dark and I love the fact it seems to flow rather than sound ‘loopy’…which I guess is what this battle is all about

<span style=“font-family: Interstate, “Lucida Grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, “Lucida Sans”, Garuda, Verdana, Tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; white-space: nowrap; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(51, 0, 51);”>Noah Muth - OP1 Étude #2

<span style=“color: rgb(255, 85, 0); font-family: Interstate, “Lucida Grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, “Lucida Sans”, Garuda, Verdana, Tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; white-space: nowrap; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);”>
Its the track I would most likely find myself listening to outside of the battle

runners up for me would be The Grateful Nerd and dinraum

I vote for UPheaval by Million Bursts of Red, runners up are Insomnia by Rudolph Rapid and Elvish Pretzley by LudicrouSpeed.

Don’t know if Dark Ambient was a requirement or not, but this battle sure got me in the mood to listen to some Cthulu inspired drones :slight_smile:

My vote goes to Insomnia by @Rudolph rapid, beautifully dark sound design…

If you wanna make someone happy, I would love to know how did you made the “maraca” sound that comes in at 1:16… It’s something I have been trying to achieve for long time but I never managed to get it to sound as organic as you did.

congrats!

S

I really like a lot of the tracks, but the following tracks i liked most:

- yoof - - FM is very minimalistic, but nice FM clings.

OP-1 Kenopi - Tellurium has captured that feeling of some old Throbbing Gristle Track.

bradthedesigner - Aluminous Garden has very comfortable sounds

Noah Muth - OP1 Étude #2 pleasing to listen, but I would prefer not to have the “chk“ sound ;o)

The Grateful Nerd - Organistrum-1 is the one I liked most. The intro evolves slowly and it grows so much in the ending.

Maybe someone who knows it all should give some hints on how to make the OP1 sound big because some of the tracks do sound fatter than others. And I think it is not only the compressor settings ;o)

As always: great work, learned a lot.

faaaaaaar in…

This is almost impossible…

I really love a whole bunch of these tracks.

For me, it came down to Million Burst of Red, and Nick Wade… (and as good as these are, they were uploaded early in the process, so I may be psychologically

In the end, my vote is for Nick Wade… He gets an extra point for creating what sounds like vinyl crackle… Is that the “grid” effect? Very appropriate considering this is “off grid”, lol…

I really wanna give huge props to everyone who uploaded. Some of the ambient shizz was unfreakingbelievably gouda… We all, who use OP-1, know how challenging it is to use, so, getting this level of quality is really amazing (and I don’t put my own entry in the same category of greatness as some of these, but thanks to @<a href=“https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/4255/tinymummies” class=“Username” style=“font-size: 15px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration-line: none; color: rgb(1, 115, 198); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>tinymummies<span style=“font-size: 13px; color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> <span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255); font-size: 13.3333px;”>for the “special mention”, that means a lot!)…
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255); font-size: 13.3333px;”>
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255); font-size: 13.3333px;”>I’m just stoked to have finally submitted something…
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255); font-size: 13.3333px;”>
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255); font-size: 13.3333px;”>Also - - - I noticed a lot of the tracks submitted are a lot hotter than mine, my op-1 bounces tend to have a fair bit of dynamic range, as I find if I run too hot, I quickly clip the LED into red… But I notice you can’t really hear the clipping sometimes… Are you guys just clipping the output? Lately I run gain at 90, release at 30, and I often bring down the master output (blue and green) to where I need to stop the red LED…
faaaaaaar in....

This is almost impossible...

For me, it came down to Million Burst of Red, and Nick Wade... (and as good as these are, they were uploaded early in the process, so I may be psychologically

In the end, my vote is for Nick Wade.. He gets an extra point for creating what sounds like vinyl crackle... Is that the "grid" effect? Very appropriate considering this is "off grid", lol...

I really wanna give huge props to everyone who uploaded. Some of the ambient shizz was unfreakingbelievably gouda... We all, who use OP-1, know how challenging it is to use, so, getting this level of quality is really amazing (and I don't put my own entry in the same category of greatness as some of these, but thanks to @tinymummies for the "special mention", that means a lot!)...

I'm just stoked to have finally submitted something...

Also - - - I noticed a lot of the tracks submitted are a lot hotter than mine, my op-1 bounces tend to have a fair bit of dynamic range, as I find if I run too hot, I quickly clip the LED into red... But I notice you can't really hear the clipping sometimes... Are you guys just clipping the output? Lately I run gain at 90, release at 30, and I often bring down the master output (blue and green) to where I need to stop the red LED...

Thanks man! It’s actually nitro on master…finding sweet spots with the resonance. Some of my source material had some tape artifacts so I think nitro just enhanced that.

Great work by everyone!

faaaaaaar in....

This is almost impossible...

For me, it came down to Million Burst of Red, and Nick Wade... (and as good as these are, they were uploaded early in the process, so I may be psychologically

In the end, my vote is for Nick Wade.. He gets an extra point for creating what sounds like vinyl crackle... Is that the "grid" effect? Very appropriate considering this is "off grid", lol...

I really wanna give huge props to everyone who uploaded. Some of the ambient shizz was unfreakingbelievably gouda... We all, who use OP-1, know how challenging it is to use, so, getting this level of quality is really amazing (and I don't put my own entry in the same category of greatness as some of these, but thanks to @tinymummies for the "special mention", that means a lot!)...

I'm just stoked to have finally submitted something...

Also - - - I noticed a lot of the tracks submitted are a lot hotter than mine, my op-1 bounces tend to have a fair bit of dynamic range, as I find if I run too hot, I quickly clip the LED into red... But I notice you can't really hear the clipping sometimes... Are you guys just clipping the output? Lately I run gain at 90, release at 30, and I often bring down the master output (blue and green) to where I need to stop the red LED...

Thanks man! It’s actually nitro on master…finding sweet spots with the resonance. Some of my source material had some tape artifacts so I think nitro just enhanced that.

Great work by everyone!

You got B52’s on vinyl?! I do too, but I didnt have that track.

Haha no mate. I sampled a bit of my voice

my vote goes to millionburstsofred - upheaval. So well done and sounds like studio quality recording to me!

runner ups for me -

Rudolph Rapid - insomnia - whoa this is heavy! I love this track.

Noah Muth - op1 etude #2 - this track is nice and bubbly! I really like it as well!

What a bunch of great stuffs again :slight_smile: It was an enjoyment to go through the track list, guys.

My vote goes for Noah Muth: OP1 Étude #2. Lovely ambient track. I just don’t miss the beats in the second half of the track but it didn’t ruin the experience :slight_smile: Congrat!

Some of my other favorites:

First of all @yoof I really like your minimalist track. It has a very strong mood.

Kenopi: Tellurim - perfect surreal feeling. The title and the atmosphere of the track makes me wondering whether it was influenced by the Sorokin’s novel? :slight_smile:

bradthedesigner: Aluminous Garden - Wondrous ambient track. I like its build-up.

timebandit78: fifteetoo - That scratching technique is nice :slight_smile:

dinraum: Off - The - Grid - This track is like from soundtrack of a good old Robert Rodriguez movie :slight_smile: I just found tape effects a bit overused but the base of the track is very powerful.

@Servando Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile: As far as I recall that sound was created with DBOX somehow, and I just pressed the appropriate key quickly to generate that sound (so I was the arp, too) while turning the orange knob in tape mode up and down :slight_smile:

Tough choice but the best track to me is durty finga drumming @ the pub
The more I listen to it the more I like it because of the groove, sounds and… well mainly those two, but isn’t that all you need in a good track?

Other tracks that stood out to me where -fifteetoo: awesome melody and sample slices

-aluminous Garden: chill vibe, love it (and great title)

-organistrum-1: Also a very great chill vibe

-offthegr1d: the arrangement of this track is real good and I like the style

Cheers

Did a couple of listens – great stuff everybody!

My vote goes to @kln’s “fm one”. Really loved that track!

Honourable mentions go to @lescour1, @aeoner, @millbastard & @rudolphrapid.
Tough choice but the best track to me is durty finga drumming @ the pub The more I listen to it the more I like it because of the groove, sounds and.. well mainly those two, but isn't that all you need in a good track?

Other tracks that stood out to me where -fifteetoo: awesome melody and sample slices

Cheers

Ooh, wow, a vote! That means so much to me, I was not expecting that, thankyou :smiley:

Tough choice but the best track to me is durty finga drumming @ the pub The more I listen to it the more I like it because of the groove, sounds and.. well mainly those two, but isn't that all you need in a good track?

Cheers

Ooh, wow, a vote! That means so much to me, I was not expecting that, thankyou :smiley:

I never said that?! :slight_smile: