Anyone on Ableton 10 and rewire?

Update looks pretty good. My push2 has been on a shelf collecting dust and ‘to sell’ but just saw in release notes that push2 is now accessible in rewire! Which is pretty huge for me as I like to work mainly recording hardware with manual sync in to daws with track lanes. Having push2 rewired for itb drums and a few well mapped synths/fx could potentially make me update and keep it. Anyone on v10 and able to comment on the new rewire accessibility and whether it’s working well? Thanks

I got 10 and push 2… But I don’t understand what you mean by track lanes. In fact I was wondering if you could expand on what functionality you want with rewire etc.

I’m stuck in my ways with sonar X3…Where you can record multiple lanes of audio or midi on to the same track. And then trim/warp etc the clips in lanes and solo/mute clips or lanes and shuffle them around/overlap them to compile. All inside the same track. Just something that’s gotten engrained in my workflow past 10 years or so and I find myself heavily slowed down now if I try to work solely in Ableton where it doesn’t have the feature (as far as I know??)…

So push2 now working in rewire is potentially best of both worlds for me and my push2 kind of becomes like a free maschine that I had laying around gathering dust… just wondering how well push2 is working in rewire though.

Hmm, I see. That sonar feature sounds cool!

I don’t see the problem that rewire would pose to push 2 though. Is there some known issue?

I’m starting to come around to the idea of using different apps to do different things, like snap to transient (such a simple feature, that’s completely lacking in Ableton) that I love in pro tools. Makes editing and looping unwarped / tempo matched audio really a billion times faster… I own both softwares so why not just do it in PT and then drag the file across… atleast umbtil ableton hopefully finally add the function.

Seems like your issue is different though.

Wasnt possible to use push2 as a drum machine or instrument inside of sonar pre-10… Push2 didn’t show up in rewired ableton :frowning: Looks like it should be fine now but was curious to hear if anyone had been using it and if any problems.

Yeah I do all linear audio/midi tracking and final mixing in sonar, way faster for me than Ableton. But some stuff I’d love to use Ableton for at same time. Push2 for drums and ableton sampler mainly…

What do you mean by snap to transient? I don’t have much time in ableton but from memory Im sure I could snap and slice to transient in sampler and also snap/warp to transient in clip/arrangement? I’m probably missing something obvious though and these aren’t the functions you’re talking about?

Hey, good point about sampler/simpler being able to detect transients… I’d asked about this issue on the ableton forums, but no one had suggested that. Then again, ye old ableton forums don’t possess the most enthusiastically helpful vibes, haha. That was before I discovered cosmonauts (Tom cosm) group on Facebook and a couple of other groups which are way more forthcoming with help.

Maybe I could use simpler/sampler to achieve some of what I need, rather than opening pro tools!!

AFAIK though, in arrange / clip mode, to get transient detection, you have to warp… So I think I’d have to match the tempo in order to play back at the original speed and not create artifacts… This seems pretty good for treating one off samples, but as part of more complex projects, it sounds a bit cumbersome (maybe it would be fine though)… Maybe there is some great workflow in there that would achieve what I want with a similar level of ease as pro tools… I’d love to figure that out. To clarify, in pro tools, if you have the snap/tab to transients option enabled, hitting tab while the selection is in a clip will jump the insertion to the next transient, and it works really well for selecting loops without a grid. if you hit tab to the start of a loop, and then shift+tab to the end, you now have your loop and can easily cut / duplicate etc. It’s just super fast and pleasing as a workflow.

Sorry for going on about this… I’m just waking up, it’s still your thread, haha!

Yeah not sure about the ableton stuff you mention. Think you might be right about needing to warp to do transient detection stuff. Ill be better equipped to talk about ableton in a few weeks, just upgraded and planning to give push2 another try.

First impressions after install are positive on the update. The wavetable synth and the new fx are nice to have on push2. Not sure how much I’ll use them after I eventually get round to mapping other 3rd party plugins but nice options either way. Brief test of rewire in sonar and push2 detected and working fine :slight_smile: that was on a win10 tablet tho, hoping it’ll all work on my main studio desktop which is stilll on win 7…

One problem I hit in rewire is that doing live rec patterns is clunky. No ableton count in in rewire. Need to see if I can set sonar to have a count in when ‘play’…or something. But mainly wanted push2 in rewire for more step sequencer drum machine workflow where I can place trigs so no big deal. And live rec is still possible, just sometimes a bit awkward…

Going to give it more patience and time this time and see if I can gel with push2 more than I have in past trials…

Yeah not sure about the ableton stuff you mention. Think you might be right about needing to warp to do transient detection stuff. Ill be better equipped to talk about ableton in a few weeks, just upgraded and planning to give push2 another try.

First impressions after install are positive on the update. The wavetable synth and the new fx are nice to have on push2. Not sure how much I’ll use them after I eventually get round to mapping other 3rd party plugins but nice options either way. Brief test of rewire in sonar and push2 detected and working fine :slight_smile: that was on a win10 tablet tho, hoping it’ll all work on my main studio desktop which is stilll on win 7…

One problem I hit in rewire is that doing live rec patterns is clunky. No ableton count in in rewire. Need to see if I can set sonar to have a count in when ‘play’…or something. But mainly wanted push2 in rewire for more step sequencer drum machine workflow where I can place trigs so no big deal. And live rec is still possible, just sometimes a bit awkward…

Going to give it more patience and time this time and see if I can gel with push2 more than I have in past trials…

Nice, man!