Soldering switch into lock tab space

Sooo I was thinking it would be nice to lock patterns sometimes into the PO-3X series but then reverse it on the fly. Obvious solution: solder a switch to the lock pads, instead of just soldering them together.

Now looking for the perfect switch to fit into the missing lock tab space.

Anyone else think of this and happen to find a good option?

I thought of trying it, should work fine, the tricky part is finding a suitable switch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=MSK-12C02&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilldvMj5XZAhWe8oMKHaM4CrQQ_AUIDCgD&biw=2048&bih=1022

i dont have one fo the newer PO’s so i cant comment on pad spacing. but these are nice and small.

whats the distance between the pads? is it ~2.54mm?

I thought of trying it, should work fine, the tricky part is finding a suitable switch.

Beyond the dimensions to fit the space, I think it would be a bonus if the switch “handle” would be low profile so it doesn’t accidentally get switched on and off.

Something like this:

http://www.pacer.com.tw/products_3-10-163.html

<span style=“font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;”>Alternatively, a tiny rotary switch that you could turn on or off with a screwdriver.

https://www.google.com/search?q=MSK-12C02&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilldvMj5XZAhWe8oMKHaM4CrQQ_AUIDCgD&biw=2048&bih=1022

i dont have one fo the newer PO's so i cant comment on pad spacing. but these are nice and small.

Maybe if one soldered this on so that the switch was facing inward, towards the screen, then it would be protected enough while still being accessible enough

Sadly not, looks like 1.5-2mm pitch.

What about some pin headers and a jumper cap?

Again, it’ll depend on finding some with the right spacing.

Sadly not, looks like 1.5-2mm pitch.

dang…well that makes it a bit more challenging.

2.54mm would be easy

I keep thinking it might be cool to add CV for the knobs, it would be pretty simple although I’m not yet convinced how useful it would be, given that a button needs to be held, but then I thought about adding a gate control, then I though about a gate control for each button, then I thought that sounds like too much work, so then I turned my brain off :slight_smile:

ayyyy…lock switch achievement…unlocked.

used a mini DPDT slide switch i had lying around.
cut the extra pins off and squeezed the two i needed together a bit more to fit the pads
i dunno where i got it from so not exactly sure how to find them yet. they are p. common tho i think.

didn’t break off the lock tab either, just cut the trace with an xacto knife

gunna splash a little hot glue to secure it up a lil more.
and figure out how to fit it into the case.

Now that’s what I call a surgery!

I would’ve ruined it for sure

wasn’t too bad tbh. whenever i do mods, i am always mentally as prepared as one can be to lose the device tho.

take your time, clear your mind is my mantra.

i ended up cutting a lil rectangle out of the back of the silicone case to fit it around the switch.
ya only get one try w/ something like that. so that was a lil nerve wracking.
got it to fit super nice tho and the extra thickness of the case protects the slider from protruding at all.
nicely tucked in.

link << I’m pretty sure these are the type of switches i used. (just using these links for the picture reference)
they have ones w/ long horizontal pins too it seems,
might be nice to have the switch facing backwards instead of sideways.
like this
suppose u could just bend the other pins flat too…
just search “mini dpdt slide switch” and a bunch should come up.

Can anyone with first hand experience confirm that exactly what is frozen when the lock tab is broken? You cannot record new samples or new patterns, correct? But can you modify knob parameters until the batteries are removed? Does soldering the lock leads allow you to do a factory reset and return the original KO! sounds? (pattern + write + insert batteries)

@docshermsticks said:
ayyyy…lock switch achievement…unlocked.

Niiiice!

thanks! yea i kinda just did it for fun but its actually really useful.
nice to lock samples when u put it in your pocket/bag
or just if u are vibin’ heavy w/ it and u don’t want to accidentally erase a sound
(has happened to me once or twice mashing buttons a lil too fast)