PO-33 K.O! vs OP-1 samplers

can anyone who has the k.o! already compare it to the sampling capabilities of the op-1?
when i got my op-1 i thought i would sample all day long but somehow i don’t don’t do it very often and tend to just use the on-board synths a lot.
thought the po-33 might kick off my sampling ambitions a little more on the fly.
so, how do these compare when it comes to sampling instruments, vocals, noise and so on + applying effects?

Well I’m the opposite in that I have an Op1 and am looking at getting the Ko.
I use my op1 samplers all the time, but having a little device to carry around will just increase sampling opportunities and exploration :slight_smile:

I’m hoping the OP-Z can sample and be that thing too. That’s a great point for the Ko.

someone pointed out that the opz appears to not have a line in.

There must be some way, its also meant to do MIDI and CV sequencing but doesn’t appear to have connections for those either.

Maybe the add ons/modules?

According to the OP-Z preview page, the 3.5mm plug is a 4-pole jack. Doesn’t that mean that there’s room for stereo out and mono input, with a breakout cable? In theory at least…

KO is 8 bit sampler, OP-1 is 24bit

ok what exactly does that mean? audio quality on KO videos sounds fine to me.
however i will pick it up tonight and try myself finally :wink:

The KO is much more lofi than OP1 as you’d expect, sounds nice but not clean.

Hey klausklaerwerk, nothing wrong with the sound of the KO, just pointing out the sampling differences between the two machines. Some people like a high quality sample to work with :slight_smile:

@vehka great you pointed out the 4 pole jack! It does indeed mean mic in!

so the PO33 is really fun! someone has some drumkit samples to share?
also what would be best to do in order to get a drumkit with really 16 working samples?

also what would be best to do in order to get a drumkit with really 16 working samples?

yes, will create another thread in case anyone else needs some…

cool. any suggestion on how to record drumkits timing-wise?

cool. any suggestion on how to record drumkits timing-wise?
If you mean sequencing, just experiment. Start with maybe a hi hat pattern that catches you. Then layer the kick and snare live and mess with the swing function afterward. Or do that in reverse..And of course with parameter locking you can freak the pitch, volume and filters to add character..

If you mean recording samples, the main thing is stopping the recording as soon as you have everything. Since 40 seconds is a bit of a limitation..

yeah i mean the drumkit sampling. i want to record 16 sounds and actually have them on the 16 pads afterwards. most times when i try some pads don’t have anything on them at all.

simultaneously super impressed and frustrated with the po-33

impressed that TE was somehow able to fit all of these sampling capabilities into a pocket sized device

frustrated that we are in the present and are living with the tech limitations of right now

knowing that TE may not ever produce another pocket sized sampler in the same form factor, what might this have looked like in 5 years from now? 10 years?

4x the bit rate? more sample storage time?

10x even?

what do the samplers of the future look like? bigger, smaller?

does akai take note that people want small and make an mpc mini? i know TE is a niche company in a billion dollar marketplace but do things like this move the needle in any measurable way? i hope so

Just press FX button twice to get the sign “tri” in the upper right corner, than you can adjust the length (start/end position) of each sample inside the drum loop sample. Use the knobs. Super easy :wink:

I made a little Drumkit in anticipation of the PO-33 arriving.
The drumhits are evenly placed, so if you stop recording on beat you will have one drumhit on each button.

Hope it works out for you guys...I'll wait a little longer until my PO arrives.

https://soundcloud.com/sonwu/son-wu-kit1