Speak vs KO

Hey dudes, I’m pretty keen for the new POs… But if I do sprung for one, I’d say it would only be one, so I ask the inevitable question

Which one is “better”?

Which would you / did you buy?

Why?

1 Like

I bought the KO without even looking at the Speak video, and not realising that the Speak was also a sampler… ah well, I’m sure they have enough unique features to make me want both and not feel too guilty about it lol

1 Like
I bought the KO without even looking at the Speak video, and not realising that the Speak was also a sampler.. ah well, I'm sure they have enough unique features to make me want both and not feel too guilty about it lol

Yeah man, amen. The speak uses some crazy way of sampling, and appears to be discouraged for use with non-vocal sounds, but I wonder what happens if you record non vocal content into it…

I ordered Speak because I really like that Kraftwerk vibe. Also I like having a tonic sound slot that I can use in tandem with my PO-32 that already has it’s own customized Microtonic sounds. So it’s kinda like having 2 tonics.
Psh now that I think about it I guess you could sample tonic into a KO…
TE is so rad:)

1 Like
I ordered Speak because I really like that Kraftwerk vibe. Also I like having a tonic sound slot that I can use in tandem with my PO-32 that already has it’s own customized Microtonic sounds. So it’s kinda like having 2 tonics. Psh now that I think about it I guess you could sample tonic into a KO... TE is so rad:)

Can you do me a favour and try recording like a kick drum or a shaker into the speak?

I ordered today but won’t be delivered for a week or so. I’ll be at NAMM on Saturday & will try to record something.
Cheers

with the KO the one shots are chromaticly assigned to each button and the drum slots are auto sliced. Under a hundred shipped, Amazing! Not to mention one of the video shows a scratch efx that is bad ass. Like others, I didn’t even watch the speak video so I’m obviously biased. Can’t wait to get mine.

1 Like
with the KO the one shots are chromaticly assigned to each button and the drum slots are auto sliced. Under a hundred shipped, Amazing! Not to mention one of the video shows a scratch efx that is bad ass. Like others, I didn’t even watch the speak video so I’m obviously biased. Can’t wait to get mine.

I just told my wife that I’m NOT buying one of these just yet. Are you trying to get me in trouble?

I noticed the scratch effect was kind slow, ie. It seemed to be eighth notes, I think 16s would be cooler, but you could try to dbl the bpm, it just makes those 16 steps go so quick. I wish you could zoom in so that each step was sub-divided by a row of 4 pads or even 8 pads. That way you could set your tempo way slower and fit a lot more into a single pattern. That being said, I’m not complaining (am I?). And I know that pattern chained / duplicating somewhat resolves this… But still, just a workflow thing … I think the opz does more of this divide / multiply the grid / chop pattern length for polyrythmic fun.

If I were to pick one (which won’t happen until I’m employed again) I would choose the Speak first. Seems more quirky and fun to me. And I am also curious how weird of a sound you can input - it certainly accepted beatbox-style sounds pretty effortlessly.

1 Like

“I noticed the scratch effect was kind slow, ie. It seemed to be eighth notes, I think 16s would be cooler.”
I looked at the PO-33 manual online looks like there’s 2 scratch speeds (scratch and scratch fast) so maybe 1/8 notes and 1/16th notes are possible?

“I noticed the scratch effect was kind slow, ie. It seemed to be eighth notes, I think 16s would be cooler.” I looked at the PO-33 manual online looks like there’s 2 scratch speeds (scratch and scratch fast) so maybe 1/8 notes and 1/16th notes are possible?

Ooh that’s great!

Just need one of these and a sp303 and then I can get real proper lofi

I’m also wondering which to get. I’m leaning toward the Speak, since my OP-1 appears to do everything the KO does…better. No?

I’m also wondering which to get. I’m leaning toward the Speak, since my OP-1 appears to do everything the KO does...better. No?

I’m thinking this is probably close thought to OP-1 sampling? I don’t own one but from all the reading in here it sounds close. Drum slice and sampling is one shot?

I’m also wondering which to get. I’m leaning toward the Speak, since my OP-1 appears to do everything the KO does...better. No?

I had the same thought, but not necessarily “better”… There is a lot of overlap from the looks of it. I’m very curious as to whether the samples are stereo. If so, then that’s distinct to the op1… Also, I was wondering if you can import po32 kits to the micro kit (monophonic drum kit) on the speak…

I think the workflow would serve to be very different to the op1.

I went KO. The speak synthesizes your voice and digitizes it. Probably won’t get as pure a sound out of it as the KO but I’m sure you’ll get some really cool tones.

Fine, I’ll buy speak too…

1 Like

I think speak will serve to provide auto tuning FX that are unattainable with the op1 alone.

1 Like

I think the speak sets a new level for po’s. It has scales and transpose and more features than any other.

2 Likes

Speak for me. The OP1 already does standard drum sample slicing so I’m excited for something new.

1 Like

Small thing I just noticed about the Speak: “replaceable drum sounds with microtonic”

3 Likes

Yeah, just noticed the same. So you can upload PO-32 drumkits to the Speak? That’s massive. I want one now.