Sonicware ELZ_1

This little fella will be at namm 2018...looks like an op-1 mk 2 :-)

go

https://www.instagram.com/dr.yuendo/

www.sonicware.jp

niceā€¦

Dimensions:
399mm (W) Ɨ 130mm (D) Ɨ 47mm(H)
15.7" (W) Ɨ 5.2" (D) Ɨ 1.8"(H)

Weight (in grams):
about 1,000g
about 2.2lbs

Outputs:
Stereo line outputs (standard L/R phone jacks) Headphone output (stereo mini jack) Speaker

Inputs:
AUX IN (stereo mini jack)
Power:
5V DC (center positive, 5.5mm (outer), 2.1mm (inner) jack) 4 AA batteries
USB functions:
Firmware updates USB MIDI device functions

Synthesizer engines:
FM SYNTH (4 operators with 31 algorithms, feedback and detuning) 8BIT WAVE MEMORY SYNTH (waveform editing and morphing with FM mode) DNA EXPLORER (extract and generate waveform DNA from audio)
SiGRINDER (granular synthesizer engine) STANDARD OSC (sin, square, triangle and saw waves)
LOW-BIT OSC (sin, square, triangle and saw waves)
Envelopes:
ADSR
Filters:
LPF, HPF, BPF, Peaking EQ, LO EQ, HI EQ, Graphic E
Effects:
Overdrive, Distortion, Fuzz, Chorus, Vibrato, Phaser, Tremolo, Auto-pan,
Delay, Tape Echo, Room, Hall, Arena, Spring, Plate

Arpeggiators:
Up, Down, UpDown, DownUp, Up&Down, Down&Up, Random

1 Like

Looks interesting thanks for posting :slight_smile:

whooooaaaa looks interesting. Could be an interesting partner for the OP1. Unless, ya know, TE ever get around to releasing the OPZā€¦

Unless, ya know, TE ever get around to releasing the OPZ...

No chance. XD

This does look interesting but no competition for OP1, seems to just be a rather funky synth only, i.e. no tape or drums, etc. Thatā€™s not to say these couldnā€™t be onboard now or later but no mention in Spec.

Quite a small fella:

Oh. One to watch! Interesting to hear more about functions. Be cool if itā€™s got interesting sampling/hybrid/sequencer features and a ton of memoryā€¦

3 octaves on something so small is nice to see.

Pretty invested in iPad recently for this kind of thing though. Can set up a bunch of AU synths/fx in one bank in BM3 and kind of ā€˜build your ownā€™ when it comes to things like this. On paper at leastā€¦ Be interested to see it in action though and some of its creative functionality. Iā€™m a sucker for portable these days. Very possibly Gas ahoyā€¦

FX are nice, keyboard range is nice, synth engine descriotion sounds appealingā€¦ Iā€™m keeping my fingers crossed that this is not going to be vaporware or $1500+. Would definitely buy

eeuugghh heā€™s using tiny tactile switches for the keys

this thingā€™s gonna feel terrible

The video of the ā€œDNA Explorerā€ is interesting here: https://www.sonicware.jp/elz-1-1

Anyone who thinks this is competition for OP1 really donā€™t understand the OP1

Anyone who thinks this is competition for OP1 really don't understand the OP1

ā€¦so, youā€™ve tested it already?

@LAUNE I donā€™t think he needs to. Without a four-track recorder, sampling, and the all-in-one approach of the OP1, it wonā€™t be in the same league. That said, as a mini, portable, interesting looking synth it looks cool.

Seeing that the 2nd working prototype was only finished 2 or 3 weeks ago (according tot he website/instagram), I have a feeling we might be in for a wait with this. I wonder if the developer is going to do an Indiegogo or similar? Would be a good way of testing the market viability and work out how (in terms of scaling) it should be produced. If the price can be kept down (say under $3-400) it will sell a bunch I think. If itā€™s manufactured independently/boutiquely (?) and is close to the OP1 price then it will probably crash and burn

For me, the defining feature of the OP-1 is the interaction of the tape and its other featuers. So this thing is nicely shaped, but not a replacement.

- DNA explorer sounds like it could be a killer feature.

- Iā€™m confused about the FM: usually 31 algorithms correspond to 6 operators, not 4. Unless some specify non-sinus carriers/modulators? Could it be effectively a 6-operator in disguise?

- SiGRINDER: always happy to see another grain synth.

I may pick one up, but these are the only features Iā€™m interested in, and Iā€™m not completely sold on the last two yet.

Anyone who thinks this is competition for OP1 really don't understand the OP1

ā€¦so, youā€™ve tested it already?

Do I need to test it to know itā€™s not competition for OP1? Itā€™s completely different

No one mentioned it as a competitonā€¦i think its quite Interesting to see more op-1 ā€œlikeā€ devicesā€¦of course it wont replace itā€¦

'Looks like an OP1 mk2"ā€¦

The only comparison that can be made is the relative size and the fact it has a synth called DNA. Literally nothing else is similar to an OP1 whatsoever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nBXHJldlPI

I had higher hopes for this. It appears to be "just" a synthesizer. For the price, I will stick with my Organelle as feeding the OP-1 unless something more is demonstrated from this. Not to knock their hard work -- it certainly looks stunning -- but just not hitting that GAS spot like I thought it would.