Charging LEDs trailing even when opt is set to off

When plugged into USB, i’m getting tracking/moving/trailing LEDs indicating a charge, even with opt set to X…

Reporting this behaviour across two seperate units, both on latest OS 225.

That’s gotta be a bug… The LEDs don’t bother me if they are incorrectly indicating charging, but it’s a worry if it’s charging, cause that means I’m not able to do full charges as instructed, but getting dribs and drabs… My last unit has HUGE problems with not charging, and the screen goes all grainy often with only 20 minutes of use on a full charge… Battery then takes hours and hours and hours to go flat, and unit works mostly as per usual minus a functioning screen… Such an irritating issue. I’m visiting Stockholm twice in two weeks later this year, so I’m hoping the TE legends can fix my old “faithful” (her name is Lorraine) without costing too many duckets…

The OP-1 is ALWAYS charging when switched off. The option only prevents the OP-1 from charging when it’s “operating” (switched on).

The OP-1 is ALWAYS charging when switched off. The option only prevents the OP-1 from charging when it's "operating" (switched on).

I mean when it’s switched on. When you hit the info bubble button.

When you hit the info bubble it show you the battery status, it’s normal.

When you hit the info bubble it show you the battery status, it’s normal.

The leds move, one at a time, continuously, as long as you hold the info bubble. When not plugged into USB, they light up cumulatively and then stay at the level indicative of the battery charge level status. This behaviour is distinctly different, as the leds light up one at a time continuously. I wouldn’t say it’s normal. Am I missing something?

My op behaves this way. I just thought that’s the way it’s supposed to be.

My op behaves this way. I just thought that's the way it's supposed to be.

Doesn’t it seem illogical? If the charging is off, then when switched on, and set to usb charging OFF, (at the risk of shoulding all over myself…) the LEDs “should” display the same thing as when not plugged in to USB, and not charging… ie. it indicates charging occurring if the LEDs are trailing…

I feel like I’m going insane, because this seems so objective to me, but you guys seem to think it’s good to have it behave like dis…

No offence or anything, I love y’all.

I never really thought about it that much. What you’re saying seems logical for sure! I just kinda expect my op-1 to be weird so that I love it even more :wink:

I never really thought about it that much. What you're saying seems logical for sure! I just kinda expect my op-1 to be weird so that I love it even more ;)

That’s a fun way to look at it. My attitude to existence in general lately brings me more suffering than fun, so I think you win!

hi ludicrouSpeed,

I bought a OP-1 last week with firmware #220 and made a update to #225.
All woked fine until i was trying the OPT mode in SHIFT+ COM Mode. When i turn off charging over USB (on Display i see a red X).
The HELP button show me that the OP-1 is still charging. I have exactly the same Bug like you.
Did you maybe find a solution for that. I have made Factory Reset, Function Test and 2 times fresh update, but the problem is still there. Very Disappointing about that, because the OP-1 is to much Expensive Machine. Abd for that i expect a 100% working Wokstation. You are the first and only Person i could find in Internet with this Issue.

Did you report this to TE?

yes @ motone i have report this to TE. But i do not think they can help me fast. When i read the forum i see that the Support can take a while until you get a answer.
When i see how long they need for new updates. To wait one year or longer for a system update is absolutelly not ok.
There are so many People with OP-1 problems about the Battery and charging problems. And still no Solution from TE.(the one standartd solution mostly not working for op-1 owners)
And why the hell they constructed the OP-1 so complicated to change the battery.The op-1 is the first device in my life that has so extremly problems with Charing battery(or the battery indicator, USB connected= noise).
Where are new Filters or synth engines.There is so much possible with this little think. It piss me off that they do with OP-Z and the OP-1 is still buggy.
There can be only one solution. the Connector board is defect or it is a software bug.
Can anyone confirm that with #225 turn off battery charge over usb is working?
The question is how long i must now wait for a update, and the second question is will the update repair the bug.
After buying the op-1(expensiv) i realized when i read in forum and google that i have buyed a fragile device.

i dunno if this is a bug per say. do y’all know for sure that it is actually charging your device still?

how do you know it is?

just because the lights are still lighting up doesn’t mean that it is actually charging.
or that the way you perceive it should work is the correct way and any other way is a bug.

honestly doesn’t seem like a huge deal…?

if it is actually still providing power to the battery to charge even tho it shouldn’t be
then yea maybe it is a bug.

Hello docshermsticks,

I am now at Workplace and have measured if the Usb is still charging.My job is to test electrical devices.

The Battery was almost full ( 4 green led but not the red). When i connect to PC USB the OP-1 is charging with 245mA current.
When i go to OPT MODE and turn off charging over USB(RED X) the OP-1 is still charging but only with 95mA current.
So i am pretty sure that the option to disable usb charging is not working with my OP-1. the current goes down but it is still charging. And the LED Battery Indicator say the same.

hey good sleuthing man.

are u sure that the 95ma isn’t just the power the op1 itself takes to run when it is on…?

i’m guessing that when u plug the USB in, it not only can charge the battery but also powers the device too?

Hey docshermsticks,

I understand you, but that would make no sense.
Because when you turn off charging over usb than op-1 get the current from battery.i think thats why TE constucted it so.for me turn off charging is like when you phisikally remove the usb cable.

When you turn of charging over usb? what does your battery indicator say. Are the LED moving from down to up or are the LED’s static(not moving)???

When i go to OPT MODE and turn off charging over USB(RED X) the OP-1 is still charging but only with 95mA current.
So i am pretty sure that the option to disable usb charging is not working with my OP-1. the current goes down but it is still charging. And the LED Battery Indicator say the same.
I've noticed that the OP1 may not stop charging until a few keys are pressed. This is especially audible (!) upon turning it on from off with the usb cable plugged in.
Hey docshermsticks,

I understand you, but that would make no sense.
Because when you turn off charging over usb than op-1 get the current from battery.i think thats why TE constucted it so.for me turn off charging is like when you phisikally remove the usb cable.

When you turn of charging over usb? what does your battery indicator say. Are the LED moving from down to up or are the LED’s static(not moving)???

ya i see what you’re saying. i don’t think either of us could say for sure how it is actually constructed tho.

i always thought the disable usb charging was a software thing, not hardware.
so its not physically disconnecting the usb connection.
i would think the usb port would still need the power and ground connections
to be able to send midi / go into disk mode etc. with charging disabled.
maybe its just sending the charger into a low power mode(standby) mode or something like that?
would help explain the small current drain you’re seeing

which btw, i am also seeing using my usb charger doctor.
430mA when charging the battery. about 70mA when not.

its weird. with OP1 turned OFF. sometimes when i plug the usb cable it will only draw the 70
other times it will draw 430.
could this explain why some ppl say they’re charging there battery for like 24+ hours?
at under 100mA, charging would be veryyyy slow in comparison.

Could possibly be that USB requires some power draw in order to “know” that a device is attached and should receive data.