Beat tape sample resources

Alright guys, other than vinyl does anybody have any good online resources for sampling? Thinking in the beat tape, dusty hip hop kind of vein…stuff to chop up and slice MPC style on the OP1.

Thanks in advance

Built in FM radio for me is an unlimited well. Sure, you can’t choose what you’re doing, but always something on!

Built in FM radio for me is an unlimited well. Sure, you can't choose what you're doing, but always something on!

For sure man. Any tips on creative processing for samples? Other than the usual delay and reverb?

Built in FM radio for me is an unlimited well. Sure, you can't choose what you're doing, but always something on!

For sure man. Any tips on creative processing for samples? Other than the usual delay and reverb?

I do a lot of resampling (lift/drop). Typically, I use Nitro on a sample, record to tape, lift, drop back in the sampler and add delay or verb. Also, I always use the drum sampler so I can chop!

Sweet gotcha. Cheers mate

some subreddits like vintageobscura and other related subs, theyll post some oldie like rare or weird stuff.
but this is a taboo question

ok but also there are Spotify playlists called sample school - check them out and see how the samps get chopped. In addition peep everything u like on whosampled.com and practice copying practice doing ur own thing practice practice practice for years in a few years u will shred

The q is taboo cuz nobody wants to reveal the wu-tang secret

@lescour1 wasn’t there a massive online resource of 45’s used for one of the more recent battles? might be worth a dig thru the threads.

That said, it’s hard to beat diggin in the crates… I have a junk shop near me that is a $1 goldmine sometimes

the whole fun of sampling for me is going out to get random stuff taking it home and seeing if theres gold on it. I think use whatever resources are available to you but just googling kind of takes the fun out of it.

Finding stuff no one else has from junk bins at second hand stores or sampling old video games is fun. Doesn’t have to be vinyl.

That massive resource from the previous battle is the internet archive. A lot of these are very old-timey (and scratchy sounding): https://archive.org/details/78rpm

Cheers guys

also just turn on ur fm radio on there and find a local station around 80-something, and look up the programming online
when they have a jazz show , tune in a sample every song

then just chop like 2 bars outta one parts and 2 bars outta another part
find some like break loops online or google “dilla drum samples” or something and play the drums in on ur own, no loops

all those lofi beats do almost nothing to the samples themselves except for some like genre-specific fx like sp-303 vinyl sound or some lo-pass sweeps, and djfx-looper or whatever u call that chopping effect in the sp’s

rza’s samples even don’t have much done to them, he just picked cool loops and hit a nice vein with that Kung-fu stuff mixed with like soul loops. His sampler was a real basic sampling keyboard, so he would do a lot of stuff like sample one piano note out of a song, then piano roll it and play his own licks

I really recommend just sitting there with the radio on though and just find drums u like over some jazzy smokey piano stuff

Record the coolest songs on tape slow them to -1 , loop like 4 bars, add like a sped up soul sample here and there and like, break with a lo-pass to some-one talking ambiguously like from a movie , then lo-pass sweep back to ur beat and ur all set

also just turn on ur fm radio on there and find a local station around 80-something, and look up the programming online when they have a jazz show , tune in a sample every song

then just chop like 2 bars outta one parts and 2 bars outta another part
find some like break loops online or google “dilla drum samples” or something and play the drums in on ur own, no loops

all those lofi beats do almost nothing to the samples themselves except for some like genre-specific fx like sp-303 vinyl sound or some lo-pass sweeps, and djfx-looper or whatever u call that chopping effect in the sp’s

rza’s samples even don’t have much done to them, he just picked cool loops and hit a nice vein with that Kung-fu stuff mixed with like soul loops. His sampler was a real basic sampling keyboard, so he would do a lot of stuff like sample one piano note out of a song, then piano roll it and play his own licks

I really recommend just sitting there with the radio on though and just find drums u like over some jazzy smokey piano stuff

Record the coolest songs on tape slow them to -1 , loop like 4 bars, add like a sped up soul sample here and there and like, break with a lo-pass to some-one talking ambiguously like from a movie , then lo-pass sweep back to ur beat and ur all set

Thanks for the interesting reply mate. Lots of good info in there. Nice one