TE not going to NAMM

Check it out. They are not listed -- https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2018/directory -- 

Probably bad news for OPZ release date. Odd they are not even promoting their new speakers...

Comments

• Super interesting.  I actually got asked from my rep at Sweetwater if I still wanted in on the OP-Z preorder.  He wasn't sure of release date and couldn't say exact price.  But he did speculate around $1000.  Not sure if he was just guessing or if they actually have some sort of information saying that the OP-Z is really going to happen.  Either way, I bailed on the pre-order.  Too much risk especially now that they aren't on the list for NAMM.  
  • I was just thinking the same -- I should maybe bail one preorder for now. I think my SW rep called me too, but I didn't pick up. Definitely gonna pick one up regardless, but unless they are gonna do a surprise drop for an already obscure synth, it is gonna be 2-6 months at least. I am guessing more like $400-500. They had really stressed they wanted this one cheaper. But the delay has me concered on it all. And bummed! Seen them play live with a bunch of OPZs, OP1s, and POs. It was awesome. 
  • This is such a huge marketing thing -- I wonder if they do something different than NAMM. Or perhaps that is the unlikely surprise drop...
  • BUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • Patience, grasshopper.
    Fate takes time
  • Right but why not show off the new speakers?
  • Or the new POs
  • Not showing your product at NAMM (unless there is a different thing they do) I guess kinda shows where they think their time is best spent. Unless another shoe drops, it doens't show a lot of confidence in the product you showed off a bit last year.
  • Just can't wait! Q42017!
  • Probably a good thing, would be a waste of time/resources if their trying to finish the OPZ
  • Wow, they sure do leave a lot to speculate.
  • FML... Well, I'll be back in Stockholm in June... Maybe I'll bang on their door for us... If I can find their new door...
  • Remember how long the last OS update took to finally drop? And that was “just” software. Expectation/release management is not TE’s strong suit IMHO
  • Yeah, I'm happy to wait... It's just that I'm not happy to wait.
  • Moog and DSI are also skipping NAMM.
  • That's really strange. Maybe they've got a target date in mind that they are just behind enough on that skipping NAMM will make the difference.

I do sorta worry about the signal from sweetwater though. Maybe it's delayed a few quarters. Otoh, that $1k estimate doesn't track with what TE's been pushing. Maybe the price went up, but I'm doubting it will be anything like that.
  • I think NAMM is just more or ess on the way out. Companies can hype on their own and gear is getting so cheap/readily available that anyone can try it now. They don't need starving online media outlets to hype them anymore.
    NAMM seems more for the multitude of pedal and boutique guitar/amp builders these days. The companies that hundreds have to compete for recognition.
  • mmh, maybe there are not on the official NAMM list but: https://www.teenageengineering.com/ems#events (even if its the EMS topic - TE seems to be around)
  • nice. hopefully some fuggin' neeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwssss