Drum samples level

Hi everyone,

I have a question about drum sampler levels. Let’s say I sample a drum break from vinyl straight into the OP-1 drum sampler. I slice my break into individual one shots and attempt to adjust the levels using shift + red encoder.

Now even though the edge of the kick wave form reaches the top of the screen, the level isn’t anywhere as loud as I wish it was, compared for example to the OP-1 drum presets, whose waveform also reaches the top of the screen but are loud as. Obviously they come from very different sources.

My question is, should I increase my kick level beyond the top of the screen as long as it sounds “good” and the overall level indicator is within the green?

It’s just that I’m a bit confused by what it means from a sound design perspective when the waveform goes beyond the top of the screen when adjusting levels.

If anyone has an explanation, id be grateful.

Thanks in advance!

I would trust your ears.

I would trust your ears.
Of course, above all.

The more I leave it to my ears, the better the final mix. I think I have it down to a science.

Here’s the latest.

https://soundcloud.com/unflattered/twitter-zeroshitzgivven/s-Dktxv

Record the drum slices on tape, add master compressor and bounce. Drop the bounced, compressed drums back in the drum sampler. Louder drums! And without distortion (which, obviously, can also be a good thing).

Record the drum slices on tape, add master compressor and bounce. Drop the bounced, compressed drums back in the drum sampler. Louder drums! And without distortion (which, obviously, can also be a good thing).

Wow that’s a great idea! Thanks dude, will give this a try

@lefilou I always gas my kicks and snares up pretty hard (past the top line) - it definitely beefs and compresses them.

Also another one is to resample the recorded part back onto itself:
1. Mute other tracks except your drum track
2. Set the ear up (resample) - I usually use it at the default volume (3/4) but you can goose it hard there too
3. Hit record and let it play thru the pattern
4. Bask in the extra crunchy drums

Tip: make sure you cut, lift, and drop the drum pattern beforehand so you have a “safe” version in case it over-compresses to hell
@lefilou I always gas my kicks and snares up pretty hard (past the top line) - it definitely beefs and compresses them.
Also another one is to resample the recorded part back onto itself:
1. Mute other tracks except your drum track
2. Set the ear up (resample) - I usually use it at the default volume (3/4) but you can goose it hard there too
3. Hit record and let it play thru the pattern
4. Bask in the extra crunchy drums

Tip: make sure you cut, lift, and drop the drum pattern beforehand so you have a "safe" version in case it over-compresses to hell

Thanks mate, I will give this a try. Also good to hear about going past top line.